Just bought my wheels and need some help on tires.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Imlow78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently my z71 has 255/75/17’s on it and the front rubs slightly backing up at full lock. I just bought a set of 15 slivardo ck160 wheels in 22x9. 24mm offset.

The tires now are 31” tall.

Im looking at putting a 275/40/22 on the front and a 305/40/22 on the rear but I think the 305 need a 10” wheel and the wheels I got only come in 9”.

Im hoping the 40 series being shorter will alleviate the rubbing on the front.

I understand I could only rotate side to side but that’s not a issue right now. I’d try a 285 or 295 on the front but I’m afraid of rubbing since I have a 3/4 drop on it right now.

Going to order tires tonight.

Any help/insight would be great. Not opposed to non staggering the tire size I just like the width to look right without rubbing.

I don’t think there is any other issue staggering the width other then rotation.

Shannon

Last edited:
OP
OP
Imlow78

Imlow78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about going with a 285/45r22 Goodyear eagle touring. It should be the same heaight as the 255/75r17s. Then there is no issue rotating plus I get 1” extra width.

????

Shannon

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding which tires to order, that will depend on what surfaces you generally drive on, and how often, if at all, you drive off-road. For mostly asphalt driving, lots of folks here prefer Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. For off-roading driving, lots of folks here prefer BFG KO2 tires (I don't drive off-road, so other folks can chime in on their other off-road tire preferences).

Regarding wheel/tire combinations that will fit your truck without rubbing, no 2 trucks and their suspensions are exactly alike, due to a number of factors including accumulated wear on the suspension components and different wheel widths and offsets, so there is no guarantee that what fits with no rubbing on one truck will automatically fit with no rubbing on your truck. Other folks' experiences can guide you in one direction or another, but the final test will be when you mount the wheel/tire combination on your own truck.

To assist you in getting a good idea on whether or not specific alternate wheel/tire combinations 'may' fit your truck with no rubbing, I recommend that you use the wheel/tire comparison app at the URL listed below. You can use this app starting with your existing wheel/tire combination as a benchmark, assuming that there are currently no rubbing issues with it, and measure the actual critical fender and suspension component clearances as directed by this app. Then, you can enter alternate wheel/tire combinations, and this app will give you the projected changes in these critical fender and suspension component clearances.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I used this app for determining whether on not I could use my current alternate wheel/tire combination, and it accurately projected the changes in critical clearances. Again, the use of this app in not an absolute guarantee that an alternate wheel/tire combination will fit without rubbing, but it provides a much better assessment, or projection, than simply an educated guess on your part, or a statement from others that it worked on a truck other than yours.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to trade away a set of Torque Thrust alloy rims that came on the 04 Tahoe Z71 I recently bought. Tires on those rims were 285/50 R20. I have no idea what the wheel width or offset were, but they rode fine and did not rub on anything. I traded for a set of 16" stock alloy rims off a 00 Silverado, because I felt I could find more tires at much lower prices for the 16 inch rims. The Yokohama Parada tires on the 20 inch rims were a sport tread, which was not going to do it for me this winter in New England. The old stock rims came with 245/75 R16. Smaller than the original Tahoe tires, but the narrow width and deeper tread on those will doo much better in the snow/sluch.

Looked like there was less to pick from for 20s and cheap tires were $200-300 each. This coming spring, I want to get into some Coopers from Walmart for $115 each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094