Issue after 2 new wheel bearings installed + 1 CV axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrooklynMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both front wheel bearings & hubs are brand new, one of the CV axles had to be replaced. I reluctantly had to go to Autozone for the CV axle.

Now I notice around 40MPH the steering wheel modulates left/right at times.

The wheels are correctly balanced, this issue did not happen prior to getting the new bearings + CV axle.

I'm not sure what this issue could be.

Do I need to get an alignment after getting new bearings? or CV axle?

Could it be the Autozone CV axle?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
changing bearings wouldnt affect yer alignment but
i would at least have the alignment checked after replacing a cv axle
and yes it is possible its the cv axle you bought at autozone unlikely but possible
id take it back and swap it for a another just to rule it out

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

even though this problem happened after you changed out the cv axle it is possible something else is wrong becuase coincidences however rare do happen

OP
OP
BrooklynMike

BrooklynMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True

Thanks Chris, I'll have it checked out this weekend. I spoke to my mechanic that installed everything and he said I can try getting an alignment to see if that helps.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Did you have it aligned with the bad bearings before you replaced them?

This should never happen as the alignment tech "should" shakedown the front end (check for wear and play in the suspension components) before attempting the alignment, but if he skipped the front end shake down, it could be that your truck was aligned according to the geometry with the worn components.

Once you repaired the bearings, the original alignment would be thrown off.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from the Honda world. That is almost always the cv axle. Cheap ones are not balanced properly.

OP
OP
BrooklynMike

BrooklynMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have it aligned with the bad bearings before you replaced them?

This should never happen as the alignment tech "should" shakedown the front end (check for wear and play in the suspension components) before attempting the alignment, but if he skipped the front end shake down, it could be that your truck was aligned according to the geometry with the worn components.

Once you repaired the bearings, the original alignment would be thrown off.
Nope, it wasn't aligned prior to getting the bearings replaced. I haven't had any uneven tire wear or any issues driving straight. Honestly I haven't gotten an alignment since I've had the truck. It will be 10 years this August. I've only put about 35,000 miles on it in all that time too.

Coming from the Honda world. That is almost always the cv axle. Cheap ones are not balanced properly.

I figured as much. I tried to avoid a Made in China part, but I needed to get the truck fixed that day. I'll probably end up replacing the CV axle with the OEM part at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayden with 2011 y