[ISSUE] 1997 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 5.7L Vortec 350 Belt Squeal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ballaholyk84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hows it going everyone? I am trying to figure out what is causing the squeal of my belt. This is the 2nd belt in 9 months. Belt is in perfect condition as was the original. Idler Pulley and Tensioner have been replaced with brand new parts.

It seems to be coming from the Power Steering Pump. When the vehicle has been sitting 8 plus hours and is cold, it will fore up and squeal. As its driven around it goes away after some time. As you can see, when no pressure is put on the wheels the belt does not squeal. But when turning and pushing the Pump it begins to squeal again. When wheels reach a neutral position the squeal goes away until you begin to turn again and put pressure on the Pump.

Can't figure out what's going on. My next idea is to replace the Pump with a new one as well as new Pulley. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand is the belt? I have seen the part store specials squeal when the higher end gates would not. However, judging by the fact it happens under power steering load leads me to believe it is the pump.

OP
OP
B

Ballaholyk84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What brand is the belt? I have seen the part store specials squeal when the higher end gates would not. However, judging by the fact it happens under power steering load leads me to believe it is the pump.
I had a Goodyear Gatorback on it and it worked great until it started squealing after 4-5 months. Thought maybe I got a bad belt so I got a "Premium" belt from my local parts store and it was great until it started to squeal now after about 4 months again. When I put this current belt on I also put on a brand new Idler Pulley as well as brand new Tensioner just to make sure that wasnt causing the problem.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
did you let the tensioner snap back under tension when removing the belt? have you had the pressure output of pump tested to see if it is overloading? is the fluid burned?

OP
OP
B

Ballaholyk84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
did you let the tensioner snap back under tension when removing the belt? have you had the pressure output of pump tested to see if it is overloading? is the fluid burned?

Never let it snap back while removing belt as I put a brand new tensioner on when I put this belt on. Belt has never been removed and Tensioner has never been touched since initial install about 4ish months ago. Haven't had the pressure tested but not sure how that would lead to a squeaky belt? Fluid is perfect, not burned, and is spot on capacity.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
can only suspect then you have a defective belt, wrong size or defective tensioner. can you post a pic of the tensioner position markers please.

OP
OP
B

Ballaholyk84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
can only suspect then you have a defective belt, wrong size or defective tensioner. can you post a pic of the tensioner position markers please.

On my way home from work I planned on grabbing a new Gates belt and throwing it on there to see. I'll grab a couple pictures also when I get home this evening for you. I appreciate the help.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
listening again it sounds like a bearing or water on the belt. i take it you can turn the pulleys freely with no free play on noise?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076