ISGM655 for 2004 tahoe- Bluetooth and phone integration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got my isgm655 iSimple Connect by PAC-Audio.com http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-Premi...1&keywords=isimple+connect+car+kit+gm+isgm655

Instruction MUST be downloaded here: http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1160&CategoryID=36 No instructions are included with unit. I guess that is the new norm.

I installed it Friday night. It took quite a bit longer than the 30 min i saw someone claim it took them to install. Took me a few hours. But then I wanted to figure out best place to install the USB jack and what not.

Once all plugged in, It was displaying the iphone information, but the music was still coming out of the XM receiver. Frustrated, I gave up and called it a night.

I tried calling them the next day and get this... PAC-Audio is open until 7pm on Saturdays for tech support. Their customer service is AMAZING. They are very friendly, helpful, and patient. They also really know there stuff; a huge plus especially when you have had to deal with some of the crappier tech support that think nothing of wasting your time with apprentices at the 'Level 1' level support. When you call them, you give them your phone number, and they actually take notes so you don't have to explain your dilemmas when you call back.

So there were TWO plugs you have to bypass in the harness. I had not really looked at the smaller plug, assuming it was for a different model or the harness was for multiple vehicles. No, it is a GM harness, specific to that vehicle. Essentially, the smaller plug is for the sound.

Once all assembled, it worked beautifully.

A few things to consider. you are suppose to secure it somehow. But the harness is not very long so it makes this a near impossible task. Plus, you got to shove all that back into the dash, with the HU, with little room to spare. I did not attach since it was pretty much impossible, but I did try to keep away from sharp metal (there are a few areas under there that could damage wires over time.)

A valuable tip... get a cardboard box and sit it on the drink holder. Box should be just below the bottom of Head unit. This will allow you to sit the HU comfortably without having to balance it with one hand while fiddling with wiring with your other. That thing is heavy! This also avoids you damaging dash when balancing radio.

Another complaint is the USB and AUX 1/2 connectors do not have any way of locking them in place. so they kept coming off when pushing everything back in. Bit of a PITA. Hopefully they won't come off after a while.

The USB outlet is super nice to have, but mine was REALLY hard to plug USB in and out of, to the point that it pulls the whole thing out when i pull the plug out. I will call them about this. It would be nice if they replaced this with an all in one outlet that has USB and mini jack. I have seen these on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CNUFGN6...UTF8&colid=1JEP9VQIZ99B6&coliid=IG6H5TACMYTSD You would need to modify since the mini jack coming of iSimple is a male plug.

Figuring out best location for USB plug took a while. I ended up putting it in the pen holder (near drink holders). It fits nicely there. Only downside is cables remain apparent and parking in cities, you want to avoid anything that will draw attention to avoid break ins.

I routed the audio mini jack on the right. There is a 1/8" gap between dash and console molding that allows this cable to be tucked away neatly, but can be pulled out when needed.

I am still testing out operation, but essentially, it works like this:

You essentially have a bunch of input modes. You need to hit the Band button a few times to get to XM, then immediately turn the channel knob to scroll through the option you want SAT (for XM), BT (Bluetooth), USB, IPODUSB, IPODBT, Aux1, Aux2. Then hit 6 on the preset buttons to lock it there. It is a bit of work going through all this but assume you lock it into an input mode for a while. But when you get a call, i assume you need to go through these actions to connect the phone, plus, turn on bluetooth on your phone and allow it to connect if it is not already on.

The USB jack of course is automatically powered, so it charges your phone. You can also charge your phone if your are listening to another input like FM or XM. Nice

PLAYING MUSIC:
You can either connect your iphone through either bluetooth or USB (with your own cable). Not all phones work with full integration so you need to check for compatibility. Either way you connect, you can control your iphone music player through the head unit (HU), or through the steering wheel controls.

Alternatively, if you have an older or non compatible device, you can use Aux 1 and 2 as an input. They provide a connector that gives you a mini jack (head phone jack) connector with two RCA female plugs. RCA plugs come out about 6 inches off unit, so you will need an extension cord if you plan to use these in the future without taking everything apart. The audio mini male plug has a long cord (about 6feet or more) so there is plenty of flexibility as to where to locate.

HANDS FREE PHONE OPERATION:
Hands free works through Bluetooth only i believe. The hands free works well. I tried a few call but still need to test it more to find out. One nice feature, you can control the phone (answer, hang up calls and more) with the HU. This is a nice feature to keep from looking at the phone and keep attention on the road.

I did not try the USB plug with a flash drive.

All in all, this is a great set up. PAC audio provides great support that makes install a breeze (relatively). I would REALLY recommend that you do the install while customer service is open. Once you get into the install, you essentially have your dashboard completely taken apart. I pulled the center console apart in order to figure out where to put USB plug.

Last edited:

whiskey.digital

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After having this installed, how do you like it? I am doing an install right now. Started yesterday, but was having trouble getting the radio to fit flush back in the cavity, with the extra wires. Any tips?

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love it. Only problem is that cycling through the input options is a real PITA, and a little unsafe to do while driving. unfortunately, it is the way it is.

If you are listening to music through your smart phone, and using the GPS, it goes through speakers. Kind of cool. Also, if you get a call in this mode, it uses the car's speakers, and the mic on the smart phone.

I have not yet used the mic much. i first installed it at knee height, but sound was not good to persone i was talking to. I need to rout it through A pilar. I need to go back in anyway to replace the usb connector that was bad (they sent me free replacement).

It is really worth the money if you buy it at lower than retail value.

For the wires... it was not easy. I pushed the device up to the left and squeezed it in. One crappy thing about the design is the connectors (USB and RCA/mini). They are really not meant for this application. the Wiring harness is super short, so you don't have many options as to where to install the device, and so if one of the cables (usb or RCA/mini) falls out, you have to take everything out again. Hopefully it will not.

TahoeBlue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great original post (long time lurker here, finally joined) - helped make my decision to get the isgm655. I installed mine in an '04 Tahoe with the latest version of the firmware (http://www.pac-audio.com/firmware/connect/index.html) hoping I wouldn't have any problems streaming with the later versions of Android (4.4.4) I had read about. After testing it and getting the truck put back together I was thrilled to bring modern functionality to a truck I loved.

Unfortunately, the next morning when I went to start it up, the Tahoe didn't recognize my keys, giving me an unknown driver error and all kinds of weird electronic issues like traction control being disabled. If I reset the isimple unit before or right after I start the Tahoe, it works but of course it takes a bit for it to boot up then I have to re-login to the bluetooth. Has anybody else had something like that happen?

I talked to customer svc, they hadn't heard ANYTHING like that, though one of the latest reviews on amazon is really similar. They said it was probably defective and to return. Hate to send it back, am willing to try and go back to a prior firmware version, but basically have to reinstall the unit to do that too, so a bit of a pain (boo hoo, right?). Any ideas appreciated!

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U Should be able to upgrade from USB port.

If they are willing to swap it out, I would try that next.

Are you sure you did not damage any other wires? That unit is a PITA to reinstall due to limited space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidsed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great original post (long time lurker here, finally joined) - helped make my decision to get the isgm655. I installed mine in an '04 Tahoe with the latest version of the firmware (http://www.pac-audio.com/firmware/connect/index.html) hoping I wouldn't have any problems streaming with the later versions of Android (4.4.4) I had read about. After testing it and getting the truck put back together I was thrilled to bring modern functionality to a truck I loved.

Unfortunately, the next morning when I went to start it up, the Tahoe didn't recognize my keys, giving me an unknown driver error and all kinds of weird electronic issues like traction control being disabled. If I reset the isimple unit before or right after I start the Tahoe, it works but of course it takes a bit for it to boot up then I have to re-login to the bluetooth. Has anybody else had something like that happen?

I talked to customer svc, they hadn't heard ANYTHING like that, though one of the latest reviews on amazon is really similar. They said it was probably defective and to return. Hate to send it back, am willing to try and go back to a prior firmware version, but basically have to reinstall the unit to do that too, so a bit of a pain (boo hoo, right?). Any ideas appreciated!
I have a 2004 silverado 2500 LT and my isgm655 did exactly what yours did, only when I tried the reset button, it would not come back up. The lights on the radio would light up, but no clock or display. Not much worked until I disconnected the module. Even attempted to reinstall the firmware, would not respond. I returned it, once refund applied will attempt a second unit. Worked great for 30 minutes in my case, hopefully just a bad unit or corrupted firmware
38410"]Great original post (long time lurker here, finally joined) - helped make my decision to get the isgm655. I installed mine in an '04 Tahoe with the latest version of the firmware (http://www.pac-audio.com/firmware/connect/index.html) hoping I wouldn't have any problems streaming with the later versions of Android (4.4.4) I had read about. After testing it and getting the truck put back together I was thrilled to bring modern functionality to a truck I loved.

I talked to customer svc, they hadn't heard ANYTHING like that, though one of the latest reviews on amazon is really similar. They said it was probably defective and to return. Hate to send it back, am willing to try and go back to a prior firmware version, but basically have to reinstall the unit to do that too, so a bit of a pain (boo hoo, right?). Any ideas appreciated![/QUOTE]

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i THOUGHT you could use a USB thumb drive to update the drivers. If you have the USB connection in the cab, just do it from there?

I did not mess with updating drivers. I know some old drivers had the older ones installed. Rule of thumb for all software/firmware updates... It is always a good idea to read through the notes prior to updating as often, the update does not concern you. Other times, the update are meant for other vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mccubbinsjl