Is this camshaft toast?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Djgz71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a lifter that went bad. When the removed it and looked at the lifter they indicated that it beat up the camshaft. I have zero knowledge in this area to know if this looks bad and has to be replaced or is this minor?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
BAD! It can look like that on the edge and still be bad. That is all across the lobe face.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toast would be an understatement!

You are not doing a complete overhaul? My concern would be all that metal that got chopped off surely must have damaged oil pump, main/rod bearings and whatnot.

You still had oil pressure? No knocking?

OP
OP
D

Djgz71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had driven it two weeks earlier and went a bit over 400 miles. No issue at all. Then started it up and went up the street and CEL came on and a noise. Took it over the next day to the shop.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you decide to keep this engine, your next three oil changes should be 2x as often as you used to, at minimum.
Some of that worn cam and worn lifter are still floating around, shaving other bearings down.
Otherwise seriously consider used motor oil analysis, if you are interested in poopooing the above idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700