3.0 Duramax Camshaft Drive Sprocket Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GmcJing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2021 Yukon 3.0 Duramax with 30K on it. Check engine light came on so I took it into the dealer to diagnose. Turned out to be the exhaust camshaft drive sprocket had failed.
Anyone else had this problem?
They fixed under warranty but I'm concerned about the cause and possible downstream issues from this failure.

Here are the notes from the repair order:

Camshaft Drive Sprocket Replacement
Effective Date: Nov 1, 2023
LABOR CODE: 4064550
Coverage Code: Emission E, E1
Coverage Code: Powertrain P Includes: To Drain/Fill Cooling System
4WD without F47 LABOR TIME: 27.5
INSPECTED AND VERIFIED CHECK ENGINE LAMP ON WITH OTC P0016
SET IN ECM. REFERRED TO DOCUMENT 5479407 FOR DISGNOSTICS VIA
SCAN TOOL FOUND EXHAUST CAMSHAFT POSITION COUNTER ERRATIC AND NOT WITHIN SIMILAR READING CONDITION OF SIMILAR KNOWN GOOD VEHICLE. UPON DISASSEMBLY FOUND EXHAUST CAMSHAFT DRIVER SPROCKET FAILED.
REPLACED FAILED CAMSHAFT SPROCKET AND CLEARED DTCS. ROAD TESTED VEHICLE AND VERIFIED SCAN TOOL DATA NOW WITHIN ACCEPTABLE RANGE.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the sprocket failed so the engine was mistimed slightly because of it. No big deal. It isn't common but not unheard of.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Would like to see the failed sprocket. Anyone know if there is a path for broken bits to get to the oil pan?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"CAMSHAFT POSITION COUNTER ERRATIC AND NOT WITHIN SIMILAR READING CONDITION OF SIMILAR KNOWN GOOD VEHICLE"

i doubt it literally failed as in fell apart in the engine.
likely the actuator to control advance/retard was sluggish or leaking and not holding position

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"CAMSHAFT POSITION COUNTER ERRATIC AND NOT WITHIN SIMILAR READING CONDITION OF SIMILAR KNOWN GOOD VEHICLE"

i doubt it literally failed as in fell apart in the engine.
likely the actuator to control advance/retard was sluggish or leaking and not holding position
It's a simple setup w/o variable timing. Exhaust cam has a reluctor ring bolted onto the backside of the sprocket and the camshaft position sensor is installed in the valve cover.

I'd be curious to see if the sprocket actually failed or if the reluctor ring came loose? There was some early QC issues with that reluctor ring. Some of them were bent and if the engine stopped in just the right spot, the cam position sensor wouldn't read it correctly and it would crank without starting.

1701126347375.png

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A failed sprocket with 30k on it is no big deal? Ummm ok.
You must understand the design and how it failed. These are simple. And it didn't fail catastrophically.

So yes. shit happens category. That's why you have a warranty. Most issues happen sooner than later if they fail within warranty period.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must understand the design and how it failed. These are simple. And it didn't fail catastrophically.

So yes. shit happens category. That's why you have a warranty. Most issues happen sooner than later if they fail within warranty period.
I'm pretty sure we all understand the design.
Personally, I consider any necessary engine component failure a quality problem, they shouldn't happen at 30k. This is why the gasser's are getting slammed right now in GM land.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we all understand the design.
Personally, I consider any necessary engine component failure a quality problem, they shouldn't happen at 30k. This is why the gasser's are getting slammed right now in GM land.
Yeah. It would be nice to live in a world where man made machines had no failure rate.

Guess we can all dream right ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar