1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there a 'master' blend door that would explain this?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by bmishoe, Apr 7, 2021.

1. S33k3r

S33k3r Full Access Member

Name:
    Will
    I didn't dig a lot into this as I ended up paying a mechanic to fix it. But the symptoms I suffered were running AC because it gets freaking HOT in Texas, and having the driver's side -- and ONLY the driver's side -- blow heat; everyone else got AC.

But, from the information I have read across multiple GMT800 groups, there are three doors/actuators/whjat-have-you in the front on the GMT800 trucks; one at the driver's footwell, one at the passengers foot well, and one completely behind the dash. The one behind the dash is rated at 9 hours of labor to disassemble the dash, replace the problem part, and reassemble the dash.

As an aside, and this is a wild-ass guess, there are separate units conditioning the air between the front and the rear systems. There is a part, for example, in the right rear wheel well (inside the cab) that has something to do with air going to the back part of these trucks. So I am thinking that bmishoe's problem is something under the hood as opposed to a door issue. But, at this point, taking it to a mechanic and getting it professionally checked would seem the wisest course of action. The trick there being making sure you had a mechanic you can trust.

I don't know where he is located, but if he is in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Area of Texas, I can direct him to an honest mechanic.

2. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Build It Better Supporting Member

Name:
    Mark
    Yes, the front and rear have their own separate systems. The rear is located behind the passenger side rear compartment. There’s a separate heater and ac unit there, with its own blend door and mode door with corresponding actuators. Up front there’s 4 actuators- blend doors for passenger and driver temp control, mode door to tell the air which vent to blow out of, and recirc door to tell the system to either draw outside air in or to recirculate the inside air. The recirc is the hard one on the NBS. I replaced mine in a couple hours by only removing the dash cover and then removing enough screws from the supporting structure that I could pry it up enough to get to it.
    So in total that’s 6 actuators.

jonnytahoe and Sparksalot like this.
  3. Sparksalot

Sparksalot Full Access Member

Name:
    Rex
    Are the actuators themselves the same part number, or is each one different?

4. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    I’m not sure, I think there’s 2 or 3 different ones. It gets confusing.

Sparksalot likes this.
  5. Sparksalot

Name:
    Rex
    Figures.

6. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    IIRC Rockauto helps a bit but it’s still stupid.

7. George B

George B Full Access Member

Name:
    George
    These things are hard to diagnose without a bidirectional scan tool.

@915_Tahoe can help with a part number for the actuator.

915_Tahoe, Rocket Man and Sparksalot like this.
  8. Sparksalot

Name:
    Rex
    I’m having troubles getting t3ch2 to chat with candi. I’m pretty sure one of the actuators is acting up, and was thinking to have a replacement on hand.

Rocket Man likes this.
  9. George B

George B Full Access Member

Name:
    George
    My tech2 does that too. I found its the connector between it and the longer cable. I have to work it together really hard.

Rocket Man likes this.
  10. Sparksalot

Name:
    Rex
    Which one, right connector right at the unit, or the one on the right side of the candi twit in this pic.

EAA51492-7EB6-4DE5-B636-71636E2C0747.jpeg