Is okay to remove one front axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front diff passenger side output shaft bearing is bad. I also replaced the wheel hub on that side. I want to pull the axle shaft off that side. I'm curious if will harm the new wheel hub I put in because nothing will be attached to the axle splines on it.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Absolutely not

You need the torque on the axle stub to keep everything in place. You take it off and you'll watch your wheel pass you on the freeway

Why not replace the bearing? They're pretty easy.

Drain the front diff, disconnect the 4wd actuator, loosen the diff mounts where the attach to the frame to give you some free play, drop the axle, remove the bolts securing the extension to the torque arm. Undo the bolt securing the housing extension, pop it out.

Undo the circlip holding the output shaft in place, pop it out. Mind the order in which the various shims and engagement dogs come out. Now is a good time to clean up your mating surfaces.

From there, grab a micrometer and measure the seat height of the bearing, it doesn't have a lip it rests against, so you'll need to take some measurements to put it back in the same spot. Take a (24mm, I think?) socket on a long extension and drive out the bearing and seal from the opposite side. Drive the new bearing in to the same depth, install the seal. Put a dab of wheel bearing grease on your finger and prelube the bearing and seal.

Installation is reverse of removal. Housing extension and housing are sealed with some RTV. Plop it back together, go have a beer while the RTV dries, fill the diff up, take a few hard left turns to get oil to the bearing, and you're done. It's about a 4 hour job, labor being 1.5 hours, half of which is fussing with the circlip to remove the output shaft. The rest of the time is waiting for the RTV to dry enough that you can refill the diff

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking same thing... however front wheels seem to be seizing up. I jacked up truck one side at a time. Each wheel turns with a bit of resistance.

I wounder if i have a kink in my brake line or it is the axle bearing.

Also, i wounder if i got a defective wheel up (different matter)... i replaced the hub which was obviously bad. However the sound persisted, not sure if that axle shaft bearing can sound like a bad wheel bearing as well? It only makes noise when i turn to left ( putting pressure on that side of truck).

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk