Is anyone running red, and blue flashing lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

camaro19781000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2012 Tahoe PPV, and its equipped with most of the police dept. Red, Blue and white flashing lights, passenger partition, grill guard, and spot light. I was told by the dealer I was able to legally have them installed but of course not to impersonate a LEO. Also they were sold to me "deactivated" meaning all the fuses were pulled. I replaced the fuses and they all work including the siren. But I have read the Texas laws and say they are definitely illegal to have. So question I have is "is anyone else in Texas or somewhere else running red and blues? or at least have them installed? Have you had any issues with LE, pulling you over? I think they are awesome and will only use them to show off at home never in public. Any advise is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Jtpmedic

Reaction score
I can't wait to hear how this 'discussion' on the side of the road goes...

When I say "Discussion" in this context, I mean felony stop at gunpoint...

You really need to remove them...
Possession in one thing, but possession mounted in the vehicle is different, and you'll never talk your way out of an impersonating charge.
I think Texas (may be wrong here) is one of those states that even requires the department mechanics to cover the lights before operating the vehicle on the road.
If you aren't a sworn LEO, there will be some serious issues keeping them...

Last edited:
OP
OP
camaro19781000

camaro19781000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can't wait to hear how this 'discussion' on the side of the road goes...

When I say "Discussion" in this context, I mean felony stop at gunpoint...

You really need to remove them...
Possession in one thing, but possession mounted in the vehicle is different, and you'll never talk your way out of an impersonating charge.
I think Texas (may be wrong here) is one of those states that even requires the department mechanics to cover the lights before operating the vehicle on the road.
If you aren't a sworn LEO, there will be some serious issues keeping them...
I would very much like to avoid that! They aren't visible from the outside. And there is no light bar but sounds very risky to run them. So I'll take this as a sign to take them off.

Jtpmedic

Reaction score
I would very much like to avoid that! They aren't visible from the outside. And there is no light bar but sounds very risky to run them. So I'll take this as a sign to take them off.
And I don't want to come off as an a$$hat here, but I'm just imagining if you were to upset someone on the road and they make mention of a 'police' looking vehicle when they call you in.
Once you're pulled over, if the LEOs see any of it, you'll be screwed.

OP
OP
camaro19781000

camaro19781000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No no I appreciate you all taking the time. First thing tomorrow morning I'm removing them and even if I don't ever get pulled over I'll have some peace of mind. Thanks again!
And I don't want to come off as an a$$hat here, but I'm just imagining if you were to upset someone on the road and they make mention of a 'police' looking vehicle when they call you in.
Once you're pulled over, if the LEOs see any of it, you'll be screwed.

Shackman7878

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can keep the Grill Guard, spotlights, but at least in California you can run Amber/Yellow white lights. Friend was running amber and white worked security but un-marked crown vic but got pulled over and the cop shined his flashlight and was looking for red and blue lights. But you can sell the parts you take off lights, partition and etc on Ebay, Offerup or craigslist some Police and LEOs equip there personal cars. Just be careful removing parts when you remove one part check if everything works each time also CUT one wire at a time the person who removed the equipment from my Tahoe cut a ground and reverse and shorted the fuse block under the hood that was a fun fix.

Attachments

• Camping.jpg
    Camping.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 261167379_325065892814276_1999886638151024503_n.jpg
    261167379_325065892814276_1999886638151024503_n.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14