Intermittent no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rozay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I did a search and didn’t find any real help. But I did find what seems to be a common problem. My 2007 Tahoe was fine since I got it a little over a month ago. 2 weeks ago I got gas and when I went to start it it clicked like the battery was dead, but then cranked over and started a second later, but that power loss caused the radio to reset (channel memory and time). Drove for about an hour or so, shut it off, restart fine. It was fine the next few starts but then happened again. Total it’s been about 5 times total in 2 weeks. Each time losing power for a split second then starting fine. It sounds like a relay either in the dash or under the hood clicking when it happens. I checked my grounds and all look good and tight. Battery, Alternator, starter etc are in good shape as well. Any help steeeing me in the right direction. Thanks! Sorry for the novel.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've checked all your wires and connections(battery/starter/alt)
Mayve Check the master fuse(mega link? I forget what it's called)
its on the firewall on the passenger side right off the battery, they have been known to corrode and cause issues.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote for a funky ground. Start by doing the Big3 and see if the problem goes away.

OP
OP
Rozay

Rozay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update! So I checked the battery, alternator, starter, the “mega link” and grounds. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. I just got done running errands today in it, (shut off and restarting about 8 times total) I pull in the driveway and when I shut it off the radio loses power immediately instead of staying on till I open the door like it normally would. I go to start the truck, it cranks for a second then stops. Turn key again and it starts fine. But again all the memory and stuff is lost once again. I’m lost here

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Big3–I know I already voted, but I’m a <insert party you believe commits voter fraud here>.

OP
OP
Rozay

Rozay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another vote for Big3–I know I already voted, but I’m a <insert party you believe commits voter fraud here>.
Lol, maybe I’m confused but the “big 3” you’re referring to is battery, alternator, and starter right?

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this happen a few years back and turned out to be the factory battery cable terminal end at the battery. It looked fine on the outside but was corroded where the metal end was pressed around the cable. Factory battery cable terminal is the one on the right in this pic. (negative) looks like they have already replaced the one on the left (positive) in the pic. Those pesky factory ones corrode inside without showing signs on outside. Seems to be pretty common.
car-battery-corrosion-rust-450w-548008906.jpg

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, maybe I’m confused but the “big 3” you’re referring to is battery, alternator, and starter right?

No, google Tahoe Big3. It’s a modification to add ground wires to eliminate some weird and hard to troubleshoot problems.

OP
OP
Rozay

Rozay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, google Tahoe Big3. It’s a modification to add ground wires to eliminate some weird and hard to troubleshoot problems.
Ahhh Gotcha, I actually ordered an entire new ground cable that’ll be here today, I searched more online and realized that the cables have a tendency to corrode from the inside out and is a common issue with these things, but I’m going to add an extra ground from the engine to chassis as well. The “big3” is a term I haven’t heard till now. Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts