Intermittent hard 1-2 shift '07 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcorvaia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long time reader, though just signed up today.

I have a 2007 Suburban with 125K on it. For the past 15K miles, I have a random hard 1-2 shift. 99% of the time, the car shifts fine, but every once in awhile the issue arises. It took me a long time to figure out the type of scenario it happens. It almost always seems to resolve itself once the car is turned off completely. The next start (even just a few minutes) seems to be back to normal.

It appears to occur when the car is warm (been driving for an extended period) and it happens more frequently in warmer weather. Sometimes coasting or crawling along in traffic brings it on. I can feel it coming on. It not might occur for months, but then it could show multiple days in a row. The 1-2 shift is a very hard kick, 2-3 is more noticeable than usual (but nothing like the harsh 1-2), and 3-4 seems typical.

I've read various threads and possible causes/solutions. I haven't seen a scenario quite like mine (but I have not read everything). I've read about possibly replacing the TPS, or maybe repairing/replacing the valve body.

I may visit a reputable transmission repair shop in the area, but it is hard to reproduce the symptoms. Any thoughts? Anyone with a similar experience? I feel like the fact it 'resets' with turning the car off to be an important tidbit.

Thank you!

Joe

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get a replacement valve body and tranamission wiring harness and be through with it. Check you grounds too. If that doesn't work ditch the 4 speed crap box and swap in an 6 speed auto for 2k

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll let the transmission gurus chime in but it sounds like it's slipping when it gets hot. What's your trans temp run? Ever changed the fluid?

OP
OP
J

jcorvaia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll let the transmission gurus chime in but it sounds like it's slipping when it gets hot. What's your trans temp run? Ever changed the fluid?

The last fluid change was at about 105K or around 20K miles ago. I will have to keep an eye on the trans temp - I honestly never take notice. I feel like if it was slipping it would occur more often and would not resolve by turning off the car and restarting, but I am hardly a transmission expert.

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I had the same problem with my envoy Denali. Maybe once or twice a month I lose communication with TCM and the transmission acts just like you describe. I did alot of research and most day to replace transmission harness. Really isn't hard. It's just a couple of plugs on the valve body

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84