Intermediate Steering Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03YukonNH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone who has replaced theirs and noticed a difference, can you more accurately describe how the problem feels? I had my Tahoe in to the dealer a while back for some unrelated repairs but they mentioned that one of the noises they could hear was the ISS. I had them replace it last week when I had it in again and I don't really notice any difference so now I'm wondering if anything was wrong at all or if they didn't actually replace it. Yeah, I could've done it myself but I didn't feel like messing with it.

So how exactly does the problem feel? I feel stuff through the steering wheel but honestly I couldn't tell you if it's normal or not. It doesn't feel nice and solid like my wife's Lexus RX300 but my Tahoe is also basically a truck so I figured it wouldn't feel as nice. So how bad and/or noticeable is the clunking?

Basically you can feel the steering wheel bump or shutter as you are turning the wheel. Also, the bumps on the road feel a lot more dramatic than they really are. But the best way to see if you have the problem is to just turn the wheel at low speed and you can definately feel the effect of the dried out splines in the ISS.

Dynamo

Reaction score
Basically you can feel the steering wheel bump or shutter as you are turning the wheel. Also, the bumps on the road feel a lot more dramatic than they really are. But the best way to see if you have the problem is to just turn the wheel at low speed and you can definately feel the effect of the dried out splines in the ISS.

Thanks! I'm kind of thinking I didn't need a new one afterall. I checked under the hood at lunch today and the ISS looks like a new part so I'm assuming the dealer did install one.

wapiti22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Iss

I finally changed mine on my 2000 Tahoe. Had the dealer do the "grease fix" many years ago, but the clunk came back. Thanks to the info on this site, I ordered one from gmpartsdirect.com for about $65 shipped and installed myself. Was not exactly a drop in fit. Had to do some fitting and filing on the end that goes into the socket leading to the gearbox to get ti together. Total time about 25 minnutes.

But yes, I can feel the difference,. Wish I hadn't waited son long.

Again, thanks to the great info on this board, I solved the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879