Intermediate steering shaft and bearing fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Well i replaced the ISS and the plastic bearing thing inside. Now it’s 3x as loud and clunks a lot more lol. Maybe the actual bearing came out of the plastic thing when I was working in there? The whole shaft knocks and wobbles with my hand when I’m down there, just grabbing and shaking with my hand. Guess I shoulda just re-greased it for the 4th time. Lotta upside work to have to do it again tomorrow. Btw, both parts were dorman, the ISS seems fine, but not sure.

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Wow fun enough to get it in there, taking BACK out was really a PITA. It came out in three pieces, the green part, the bearings, and the plastic race retainer (?). Fun times with a pick once those last two pieces were inside the column with a shaft in the way. It sure I wanna try another dorman bearing, this one snaps together and any pressure and the bearings fall out again. Apparently it fell out on install, and the green part pushed the other pieces up in there, hence the serious slop. At least that’s my theory lol

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dorman is junk. Get an OEM one.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to pay a lot more, but I would get a borgeson.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Replaced the stupid bearing with a other dorman, no dealer had oem bearing in stock for 50 miles and I had to get it done today. Careful this time not to pop out the bearing, and it is nice and tight this time. Hopefully it lasts. The dorman ISS was fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9