Interior lighting question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02 Yukon Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably a very dumb question, but … here goes. I have a 2002 GMC Yukon XL 2500 and I'd like to swap all of the interior lighting from stock to LED. Do I need to by the CANBUS lights or no? I have done a little reading on the CANBUS requirements, but I'm still a little confused. Also, can anyone tell me, if I change my exterior lighting (headlamps, parking lamps, tail lamps, etc) will I need the CANBUS lights? Thanks for your replies in advance.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Probably a very dumb question, but … here goes. I have a 2002 GMC Yukon XL 2500 and I'd like to swap all of the interior lighting from stock to LED. Do I need to by the CANBUS lights or no? I have done a little reading on the CANBUS requirements, but I'm still a little confused. Also, can anyone tell me, if I change my exterior lighting (headlamps, parking lamps, tail lamps, etc) will I need the CANBUS lights? Thanks for your replies in advance.

No canbus needed for 02, Chad. Good to go. But be picky with what you buy or you'll be buying again, or even worse, often!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no kind of requirements, you may have to flip a bulb the opposite direction when installing because led's typically have positive/negative polarity versus a standard bulb which does not. if you change the exterior blinker bulbs to led you will get hyperflash unless you put in resistors, on the 02 though you may be able to use a flasher module that is designed for use with led bulbs but they are $50 I just put one in my 03 silverado.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swapped out and converted all of my interior lights to LEDs on my 07 Yukon XL Denail.

As Doubeleive states, the LEDs will work only if inserted into the socket in the correct direction or polarity (not obvious to look at). So, if your first LED insertion into the socket does not light the LED, remove the LED and reverse its position on the socket.

I used JDM Astar LEDs, and their folks worked with me to ensure that I had the correct LED for every light socket on the truck.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I went thru several different ones till i found these.I think they are super bright and the right color range like day light.It takes 8 to do all the lights the map lights are different bulbs.https://www.amazon.com/Lumens-Bright-Festoon-Chipsets-DE3423/dp/B078MLRNCX

I have those throughout both trucks. I used them in the puddle lights as well. Here are links and pics.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...dget-build-thread.94266/page-189#post-1359374

The LED conversion starts a few pages earlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63