Intake oiled vs dry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flyboygt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up an AFE momentum gt and I read somewhere a while back and can't find it anymore, but I thought there was an issue with using oiled air filters on the 5.3l? Any truth in this? I know all the manufacturers make a dry and oiled, I assume they would not be offered if an oiled filter blew motors..
Just wondering

Captain Insaino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with EXCESSIVLEY oiled filters is they coat the sensors in the MAF. You can use a decent shop vac on the outside of any oiled filter to reduce or eliminate this problem. You can remove and clean the MAF with carb cleaner to address dirty sensors which typically causes rough idle or similar issues.

I don't know of the brand you speak of or blowing motors. Hope this helps.

Or are you talking about a catch can?

OP
OP
Flyboygt

Flyboygt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
No not the oil catch can.
There wasn't a specific brand mentioned in the thread I read a while back I just remembered there was engine/sensor issues with oiled filters and couldn't remember the root problem.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
No not the oil catch can.
There wasn't a specific brand mentioned in the thread I read a while back I just remembered there was engine/sensor issues with oiled filters and couldn't remember the root problem.

Usually issues stem from people over oiling them. Also, environmental conditions play a role. Oiled better for dry, dusty spots. I prefer the dry, it's just easier.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive used an oiled filter for years with zero issues, just follow the instructions on the amount of oil to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645