Instrument Cluster Issues - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Capsalot1

Reaction score
My instrument cluster is having intermittent problems, I found out someone has monkeyed with the security system so it might be related. Sometimes when you shut it off the security light is on solid. Everything starts working fine and then the problem pops back up again.

Attachments

• 3EB31AE0-DBF5-4F65-9C0B-22A46B6208EA.jpeg
    3EB31AE0-DBF5-4F65-9C0B-22A46B6208EA.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 12

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are going to have to get a Tech II or equivalent hooked up and see if that light is a force on because of the security system OR just a internal problem on the Cluster Circuit board. It is not uncommon at all on these clusters to get silver migration which can bridge paths on the cluster circuit board which will cause all kinds of weird, chaotic, false indications, erratic or no needle movement and god only knows what else. Ive seen and heard it all on these clusters. Pull it out and clean the firewall connector, connector on circuit board and clean the circuit board itself with rubbing alcohol. The silver migration is essentially a corrosion that appears as whitish, grayish and even blackish crud on the circuit board. It can be fully, partially or not conductive at all. Its like adding in random resistor values to random spots on a circuit board and bridging random circuits together that are not even related to on another within the grand scheme of the whole electrical circuit. Give it a good cleaning then let air dry for 30mins or so. Use a soft nylon brush and even a scotchbrite pad lightly across areas with no components and only trace paths. Essentially a light buffing.

Im going to have to one day do a youtube video. This topic comes up alot on here.

OP
OP
Capsalot1

Capsalot1

Reaction score
You are going to have to get a Tech II or equivalent hooked up and see if that light is a force on because of the security system OR just a internal problem on the Cluster Circuit board. It is not uncommon at all on these clusters to get silver migration which can bridge paths on the cluster circuit board which will cause all kinds of weird, chaotic, false indications, erratic or no needle movement and god only knows what else. Ive seen and heard it all on these clusters. Pull it out and clean the firewall connector, connector on circuit board and clean the circuit board itself with rubbing alcohol. The silver migration is essentially a corrosion that appears as whitish, grayish and even blackish crud on the circuit board. It can be fully, partially or not conductive at all. Its like adding in random resistor values to random spots on a circuit board and bridging random circuits together that are not even related to on another within the grand scheme of the whole electrical circuit. Give it a good cleaning then let air dry for 30mins or so. Use a soft nylon brush and even a scotchbrite pad lightly across areas with no components and only trace paths. Essentially a light buffing.

Im going to have to one day do a youtube video. This topic comes up alot on here.
I’ve done all that, no migration found, very clean. Cleaned anyway and touched up all solder joints to ensure there was no cold solder. I’ve verified 100% it’s due to the aftermarket security modification. I’m at a loss as to how to fix it because I can’t figure out what was done. If you don’t hold the cruise resume button and let the horn sounds it resets the gauges. If you turn the system off with the switch the gauges start glitching again.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then some bonehead has spliced into the power to IC for the security system and you will have to track that splice down and correct it. What makes you think there is a security system add on? Is there a module? Have the model of the security system so I can pull up its schematics?

OP
OP
Capsalot1

Capsalot1

Reaction score
Then some bonehead has spliced into the power to IC for the security system and you will have to track that splice down and correct it. What makes you think there is a security system add on? Is there a module? Have the model of the security system so I can pull up its schematics?
I apologize for disappearing, Ive been super busy, found someone had installed a bank of three relays that interrupted the yellow wire. Removed the relays and now its a hard fail and I can’t reset the gauges by holding the cruise button and letting the horn blow. Still not sure ir its the cluster or something outside triggers the failure. Im lost.

OP
OP
Capsalot1

Capsalot1

Reaction score
8B8E76E6-BBC1-4FAA-86E6-D27D2D2DA030.jpeg

Attachments

• 6C75EF0F-8B3E-4EFB-9606-0B0C68E2D99B.jpeg
    6C75EF0F-8B3E-4EFB-9606-0B0C68E2D99B.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2C5695DB-0789-4385-95D2-704F00F1CB9D.jpeg
    2C5695DB-0789-4385-95D2-704F00F1CB9D.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 10

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See the cut purple wire? Check Wireing diagrams for it. Think that is part of Anti-theft.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could look here too-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01