Instrument cluster blinks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought my Tahoe 2001, 220000 miles, half a year ago. After a short while the fuel gauge dropped to empty, the crash bag light went on and the rectangular "Security/battery warning" light startet to shine alternatively.
When turning of the engine the "Security" would stay on and drain the battery if left for a few days.
From the beginning it worked to disconnect the battery ground over night - but that has stopped working now.

what I have tried:
1. Added a new ground cable from the battery to chassi.
2. Cleaned the chassi to frame wire under the passenger seat.
3. Added an engine block to chassi ground cable.
4. Removed the ground wire connected to the block behind the engine and secured it to the chassi
5. Removed the instrument cluster and resoldered the conector pins to the circuit board.

I am out of ideas. Any ideas and opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by short? Did you find it? Even though you took out instrument panel, did you check to see if it was still drawing abnormal current? I've read the clusters can get a parasitic draw.

If the primary issue is the security light warning, might have a door switch issue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zucchini