Installing inside fan filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added a cabin filter to my 03 Tahoe. The retro fit kit includes the correct screw too. And the slot that the end of the door fits in is already there. The toughest part is cutting the slot, not much work room...especially if you’re 6’6”! Just go slow and be careful, there’s a condenser in there just to the left of where you’re cutting. After cutting the blank, use a file to smooth the edges. Then, depending on where you live, there might be a bunch of old dead leaf particles, dust, sand... maybe even mold. Clean everything out and make sure to install the filter carefully in the correct position ( the air goes from the passenger side to the driver side).
Good luck.

Sean James

Reaction score
Yup! What Steve said above. Some came with the slot / door and you could just remove and replace new filter. Others have everything there but you have to cut out the plastic, and the new filter will slide right in. It can be somewhat of a jerry-rig process, but it does work on most all. Some have a filter in it that you cannot get out without cutting, some will take a filter, but don't have one in it. It'***** or miss, but either way you can put one in if you are willing to cut the plastic door to do it. Do your homework first, because there is no rhyme or reason to why GM did it this way.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup! What Steve said above. Some came with the slot / door and you could just remove and replace new filter. Others have everything there but you have to cut out the plastic, and the new filter will slide right in. It can be somewhat of a jerry-rig process, but it does work on most all. Some have a filter in it that you cannot get out without cutting, some will take a filter, but don't have one in it. It'***** or miss, but either way you can put one in if you are willing to cut the plastic door to do it. Do your homework first, because there is no rhyme or reason to why GM di
They quit putting filters in because people would not change them out when they got dirty, so they ended up causing stink issues or poor airflow. But then they started putting them in again because people complained they weren’t there.:insane:

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ran that number, shows it fits 07-13 nnbs.

03-07 does not show a serviceable filter or filter kit through gm. unless they make one aftermarket.
i have the dorman one installed in my 05 Escalade. Pretty easy to do.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They quit putting filters in because people would not change them out when they got dirty, so they ended up causing stink issues or poor airflow. But then they started putting them in again because people complained they weren’t there.:insane:

If they made them easier to access people would change them more I'd imagine. I should probably check mine... but Ive got other maintenance items to address first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645