Installed Pioneer AVH-8400BH Today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx Nathan. I plan to go back to an iPhone when the iPhone 5 or whatever the new version will be, comes out. It was a bad decision to get an EVO but it was free and I've had every iPhone up to that point so I wanted something different. I'm leaning towards the 8400 though. I guess I could go without nav until I get a new phone. I've always been a fan of Pioneer HU. Plus I don't want to spend a grand on a Kenwood.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thx Nathan. I plan to go back to an iPhone when the iPhone 5 or whatever the new version will be, comes out. It was a bad decision to get an EVO but it was free and I've had every iPhone up to that point so I wanted something different. I'm leaning towards the 8400 though. I guess I could go without nav until I get a new phone. I've always been a fan of Pioneer HU. Plus I don't want to spend a grand on a Kenwood.

If it wasn't for the iPhone or the easy chance to upgrade, I would have just stayed with the 4400BH. IMO it's not really worth the difference in price for the little you get.

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any particular reason why? I like the ability to use the apps on the monitor. Or does it not work like that? I've read really good reviews on the 8400. Actually all the reviews I've read on all the pioneer HU's were very good.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 4400 has app mode as well. The only real difference is with the 8400, you can control the apps with the radio. With the 4400, you have to control them with the phone.

I've never removed the faceplate or used the Mixtrax

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I think I'm pretty set on the 8400. I want the removable face plate b/c I have a lot of money in my stereo and while its not going to stop anyone from breaking in my truck, I just like the idea that an expensive HU isn't out in the open. The price difference is only like $75-100. That feature to me is worth it. I think I'm just going to get a garmin and stick it to my windshield. I know its kinda cheesy but I don't use nav everyday so no big deal but I do need it for work. I read the nav add on for Pioneer units are terrible and they're like $350. I can get a garmin for like $150 with lifetime map updates. I wonder if you can use the cable to plug the garmin into the HU to read like a flash drive and have it display on the HU monitor? I'm so tired of researching and reading reviews LOL. I'm just ready to buy something and enjoy it at this point. Thanks again Nathan. You've been a tremendous help. Oh one last thing, you recommended the gmos-011. The installer I talked to suggested the gmos-04. Do you know if either are okay? I know both work with Bose and onstar so I wasn't sure of the difference except price.

Sinister1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can tell just by the looks and functionality that this head unit is much better than previous. Nicely done and love the creativity. Wish you had a writeup for this.

chevyboy23

JUST QUE DOGGING!!!!
Reaction score
Does that bypass work the same way like the one for the 4400 minus all that switch and disengaging stuff.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can tell just by the looks and functionality that this head unit is much better than previous. Nicely done and love the creativity. Wish you had a writeup for this.

Thanks. I might try to do one here sometime soon...

Does that bypass work the same way like the one for the 4400 minus all that switch and disengaging stuff.

Well, the 4400 I had uses the old style relay bypass. this 8400 and all the newer models are using the double tap bypass, the has to be grounded, then ungrounded, then re-grounded.

chevyboy23

JUST QUE DOGGING!!!!
Reaction score
Right.....so I can hook it up like the 4400. I have the same bypass but for the 4400. With the one that you mentioned. Is the double tapping of the PB needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv

Latest posts