Input please.. Front end work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe5509327

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 05 Z71 with just under 185k miles. I took her in this morning to find out what was going on with the front end after a few noises and lousy ride.

The estimate came to a total of $1549 and includes the following:

Shock/Strut Assembly x2 -
$116.96 labor and $581.92 parts

Ball Joint (Lower) x2 -
$436.77 (+$28.49 remove/replace skid plate interference)

Wheel Bearing x1
$199.40

Outer Tie Rod (both) -
$113.94

----
IMG_2515.JPG

They also mentioned my rear main seal is beginning to leak but did not provide an estimate for that. The Hoe is in decent condition but i've never had a higher mileage vehicle or suspension repairs for that matter. Any input would be greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance.

-Cody

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is nutso. Stop taking your 14 year old truck to the dealer. You buy buy all of the parts yourself on amazon and ebay and have this work done at your local garage for about 1/4 of your estimate or less, and get better parts in many cases.

To me, one of the keys to keeping my truck on the road is buying cheap parts. Your estimate is half the value of the truck.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get bilsteins for all 4 corners for half of what you got quoted.

As for lower ball joints I would recommnd replacing the entire control arm (I just did these yesterday. I used moog problem solvers) which will cost you less than what they quoted you for just ball joints and I have no clue what they were talking about with skid plates lol

Wheel hubs for $199 you get buy 2 timken wheel hubs on amazon

The price for the outer tie rods you can get inner and outer for that price.

And with all that money saved you can buy all the tools you need to do it yourself

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just to give you an idea of how much of a better deal you can get, all the front parts below have a 10yr warranty (not including the 4 shocks)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13pc-Compl...650068?hash=item23658dd814:g:oZgAAOSwbYZXa-uh

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BILSTEIN-2...224458&hash=item28337a05f9:g:rcgAAOSw-jhUL1Wm

only other thing you would need is the wheel hub

**those are a for a 2wd, 4wd would be a different listing but would be around the same price

Good prices but what's the quality for that susoe soon kit. Sure it has a 10 year warranty but that means you have to do the job again. I got a 1aauto kit for my tahoe and about 9 months or so later I had to do tierods again.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good prices but what's the quality for that susoe soon kit. Sure it has a 10 year warranty but that means you have to do the job again. I got a 1aauto kit for my tahoe and about 9 months or so later I had to do tierods again.
I haven't used it myself personally but other people have reported good things about it., when I had my nbs I piece mealed it over time never did it all in one shot

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Tahoe5509327 I have to agree that the estimate you were given is not at all competitive with industry-wide pricing. On-par with dealer service and over-priced OEM replacement parts, catering to the uninformed individuals and corporate fleets.

unless this were a trusted business that you are familiar with, consider using internet resources to consult with 1 or 2 independents possessing a solid rating & satisfied customers. When using Google maps to search in my general location, I always check the reviews before further research on any 1 business. I have also used 'Yelp' in the past when verifying customer satisfaction with a given company.

I am personally very wary of auto repair facilities which is why I began collecting tools and technical resources several years back to DIY all auto repairs but I understand many people must utilize auto services sector.

I can only suggest researching the issue further if you want to be economical with your spending. We would be happy to help you with this and the whole direction as it somewhat involved.

I can tell you that front end noises & drivability issues diagnosed as faulty ball joints and tie-rods or hub bearing should be addressed promptly, especially in regard to protecting the tires as the failure of these parts will accelerate uneven wear patterns and negative consequences such as vibration & wandering even after the serviceable parts have been replaced.

Shocks & struts are very important not only to comfort but driveability & handling, too. Most consumers overlook the shocks or disregard its importance but its role applies to every single aspect of suspension & steering performance. Left unserviced, the harshness of the road degrades driver patience & comfort, wears on the tires, and compromises the frame and control arm interfaces. Somebody on a different forum posted a picture of the actual steel chassis ripped/elongated/bored-out due to excessive forces created on the vehicle from a faulty shock. Not good.

Safety is a major factor in your situation as well. A ball joint, wheel hub or tie rod can fail ultimately & completely. The devastation in a situation like this will really ruin your day. Not only that but risk to the general public comes into play when a failure occurs & you lose control of the vehicle. It can happen on the highway or turning out of WalMart, the front wheel seperates from the axle shaft, steering linkage or the knuckle ass'y, whereby your truck is made an uncontrollable weapon.

Finally, the oil seal is the least important. Keeping with the price point of your initial estimate, I would value the main seal replacement at the same place somewhere around $500. It doesn't sound like much & the replacement seal itself only costs $10 but the labor is intensive. The consequences of forgoing this service is a puddle of oil on your driveway and the need for checking the engine oil level more frequently. Some owners have neglected the rear main seal for years & even indefinitely because of the labor/down-time, but the motor oil level is more closely monitored as it is constantly being lost via the compromised seal. If you are the type who never opens the hood, this can be a problem as vigilance is required since the oil leak only worsens with time.

Keeping with the theme and position of other members, I would purchase the replacement parts and then have an independent garage perform the actual labor. It's still not the most cost-effective method, but I don't think that's what you are about. At least if you personally bought the parts, you know what is on the truck & you aren't getting double-billed on replacement parts. Any garage can order cheaply manufactured, bottom-$$ parts and then bill you for genuine/OEM. Been there done that. In your specific case, the level and sheer volume of parts/work called-for necessitates a level of detail/research unsurpassed by few things in that ultimately the benefits equal or outweigh the cost. I don't envy you, but with becoming more knowledgeable and informed, your choices will dictate wether repairs last the life of the vehicle and you are being treated fairly. Like I said, we can help if you are interested.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with everybody that those prices are way out of line. Shop around if you're not able to do the work yourself, but also keep in mind some shops won't install parts you supply due to the fact if they fail they don't want to be caught in the middle. Ask if you can purchase your own parts, and if that will affect the labor quotes.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is absolutely correct; you will need to consult with any business in regard to supplying your own replacement parts while the company is basically contracted for the labor. Some will work with you, others have a strict policy against it. i just know from experience I've had my ass handed to me on the price of replacement parts being marked up like 150% which is half the reason I began doing my own repairs. The other reason is I don't like people messing with (aka 'working on) my vehicles. Find grease and shit all over the interior, broken clips/fasteners. Nobody is going to respect your property more than yourself so might keep that in mind. Everybody is wanting to profit as much as possible, as quickly as possible. I'm not paranoid but I assume anybody is capable of hacks/shortcuts/scams. Where better to apply than the auto repair industry? Consumers aren't present to monitor the work, methods or products used.

I can't think of anything more important than my daily driven vehicle. Gotta be confident it's going to get me through traffic and to 'point-B' every single day. You should skim through all of the threads people post about auto repair and having bigger problems after the fact. I don't have time for that $hit. I got fed-up with being ripped off & jacked around so now I research everything & anything before giving up my hard earned money.

Last edited: