Inner tie rod/ Steering rack Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

23sonthetahoe

Reaction score
Hello, trying to break the nut loose on passenger inner tie rod. Its that big one that requires a large Cresent or pipe wrench. Tie rod is so done hanging by a thread inner and outer. My geometry has been screwed up for a long time keys cranked down. When I try to loosen that big nut i get a huge amount of give on what ever tie rod attaches to (rack?) I'm going to have to brace it somehow to get that nut to break loose because of all the play I go to loosen it and it moves like an inch each way. Does this mean idler or pitman are bad or the steering box? Or is it something that dosnt need replacing much and therefore would need to be.looked at to diagnose properly?

I had it in the shop.recentley to do a pressure test for a coolant leak and they went over every thing said I needed a wheel bearing and the tie rod. So I just finished the wheel bearing and just need this tie rod. I'm getting inner edge tire wear and pulling on that same side.

Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, What exactly are you working on? Break the nut loose before you remove tie rod taper if you can reach. Otherwise might have to remove the center link too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep