Infotainment in '23 Suburban goes black

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneto3four

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We bought the Suburban in June, Premier Diesel. When we started the car in September on a day that was colder (around freezing) the infotainment went black and refuses to turn on. Turn signals make no noise. Brought it in to the dealership, they found nothing wrong after testing, ran an update and sent us on our way. The infotainment worked until today when it went black again on a near freezing day. Not sure the temp has anything to do with it, but it happened both times on cold days.

Originally, we were told it may have had to do with using remote start, so we stopped using it, and it went black again today.

Anyone have this issue and give any insight on solutions? We tried all the reset tricks we could find, unsuccessfully. Screen stayed black the first time it happened for 5 days until it went to the dealership. Car goes back in Monday, but this is getting old already.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oneto3four

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Spoke with the service manager today, and they said that 12 23/24's came in with the same problem at their dealership the same week ours happened the first time. He said it was interesting the thought on going from warmer to near freezing that we mentioned, so he added it to the notes. He said it is a known problem on 23's and 24's and GM engineering is working on it. Asked about replacement of infotainment, and he said that they can note it, but that it may not necessarily fix the problem.

OP
OP
O

oneto3four

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Completely broke this time, they can't get it to work, and they have to replace the radio. On back order, as per usual, with no time frame for when it may be available. Wife picked up the car, radio works. Go figure. Hopefully, it holds out until the replacement comes in, but I'm not holding my breath.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gm parts are a scarcity as of late ... My 23 needs some type of bcm for the infotainment side of rig. It causes the check engine light come on and also prevents remote start and loss of compass on dic screen. Been waiting on part for nearing 3 months. Dealer said they are waiting for it to come in.

OP
OP
O

oneto3four

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gm parts are a scarcity as of late ... My 23 needs some type of bcm for the infotainment side of rig. It causes the check engine light come on and also prevents remote start and loss of compass on dic screen. Been waiting on part for nearing 3 months. Dealer said they are waiting for it to come in.
You demand some compensation from GM for the inconvenience? Sounds like extending your remote features at no charge is a must.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh ok. I was also a bit sleeping yet as i was getting up and around for work so i thought .ay e my brain had stopped working. Needed caffeine. Lol

OP
OP
O

oneto3four

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im not sure i understand what your asking and telling me.
Sorry, I didn't proofread on mobile. I did mean "Did you.". GM will offer compensation for "pain and suffering", but you have to be vocal.

You need to almost make your request as a fait accompli in which an action is expected. "Since I have been without remote services for over three months, you're going to add another year of service to my car at no cost to me, right"? Being very specific in your ask and acting as though it is an expectation is from my experience the best way. Your ask has to be reasonable, but it should also be worth your while.

Depending where you are located, remote services in the winter might be more important than summer, or vice versa. Just lean on only the time lost isn't enough after spending $xx,000 on a new vehicle, if they disagree.

Don't be afraid to escalate to GM direct if your dealer isn't being reasonable. They all have budgets to deal with these issues and in many cases when it is warranty they bill back the supplier if it was their fault.

Mal2500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Completely broke this time, they can't get it to work, and they have to replace the radio. On back order, as per usual, with no time frame for when it may be available. Wife picked up the car, radio works. Go figure. Hopefully, it holds out until the replacement comes in, but I'm not holding my breath.
My 23 Yukon did same thing, radio worked until they could get it fixed so hoping yours stays working too. First fix was an update, did not work. Second fix was replacing the entire info system and I am scared to say, 2 months in and so far so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz