Info screen is acting crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sunrisor

Reaction score
My '03 XL has a crazy info screen. For the last few months the screen has been randomly changing languages. hour meter/trip odometers-all reset themselves. Odometer seemed to be functioning so I really didn't care that it was flipping languages.

Had a brakline blowout, so replaced the entire brake system, did the steering box and hoses while I was in there. Along the way the battery decided to crap out. It sat for about 4 weeks with no power.

Now, the info screen was flashing on/off, even with the ignition off (key in my hand). Engine running for awhile while I checked for leaks, etc. It doesn't light up randomly now, but the screen is stuck on trip odometer.

I tried to find posts similar to my dilemma but couldn't really find any. Except that it seems the mileage is actually stored in the cluster. I thought it was in one of the BCMs. If that's true, do I need to replace the whole cluster? or can I replace the info screen? I did see a link somewhere to someone who rebuilds them.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
My '03 XL has a crazy info screen. For the last few months the screen has been randomly changing languages. hour meter/trip odometers-all reset themselves. Odometer seemed to be functioning so I really didn't care that it was flipping languages.

Had a brakline blowout, so replaced the entire brake system, did the steering box and hoses while I was in there. Along the way the battery decided to crap out. It sat for about 4 weeks with no power.

Now, the info screen was flashing on/off, even with the ignition off (key in my hand). Engine running for awhile while I checked for leaks, etc. It doesn't light up randomly now, but the screen is stuck on trip odometer.

I tried to find posts similar to my dilemma but couldn't really find any. Except that it seems the mileage is actually stored in the cluster. I thought it was in one of the BCMs. If that's true, do I need to replace the whole cluster? or can I replace the info screen? I did see a link somewhere to someone who rebuilds them.

The milage is in the cluster. Maybe in the ABS module although I have no proof.
There is a solder reflow procedure for the display, although more common on 00-02's.

I would email digital dash solutions with a description of your problem. If anyone has seen this, it's probably them. Keep in mind, though, that they sell clusters for a living.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

@ScottyBoy rebuilds them.

OP
OP
sunrisor

sunrisor

Reaction score
Update:
Just thought I would complete this one, just in case someone else has the same issue.
I sent my cluster to https://circuitboardmedics.com/
I got their standard repair (no LEDs, trans temp, etc.) and they did a great job. They claimed they would turn it around in 24 hours and they actually did. All the issues I had with the cluster have been fixed. I am definitely a satisfied customer.

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
Just thought I would complete this one, just in case someone else has the same issue.
I sent my cluster to https://circuitboardmedics.com/
I got their standard repair (no LEDs, trans temp, etc.) and they did a great job. They claimed they would turn it around in 24 hours and they actually did. All the issues I had with the cluster have been fixed. I am definitely a satisfied customer.

Glad to hear it went well. How hard is the cluster to remove from your dash? I have thought about sending mine out to have the gauge faces replaced (to an esky look). However, I am very much mechanically inept and worry I couldn't remove it.

OP
OP
sunrisor

sunrisor

Reaction score
It's actually quite easy. The dash cover comes off with no tools required. There are 4 screws holding the cluster in. You have to tilt the steering wheel down all the way, and move the gear selector down all the way too.

There is a video that is very good at showing how to do it. Pretty sure I found it here in one of the threads. With the right search words, you'll probably find it. If I find it, I will post it here.

Maybe someone who read this might know where it's located.

OP
OP
sunrisor

sunrisor

Reaction score
sorry...either my PC acted weird or the forum acted weird (probably the former). ended up posting twice...

....oops...