I'm Curious- Luggage Racks On Pickups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who's wondered why luggage racks aren't available on pickup trucks? Especially crew cabs? Four adults and no place to store or secure luggage.

What do y'all think? Good idea?

joe

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much think that is what the bed is for. Add a Cap and your stuff stays dry.
If a rack is needed then? It goes on the Cap.
Yes I drive a Crew Cab truck with a cap which has a rack on it.

OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are certainly alternatives. I could say the same about SUVs- "... pretty much what the space behind the seats is for".

I've never seen a truck with a rack on the bed cover.

Mostly, I'm surprised the makers haven't seen them as another option for revenue. I think they might look awkward at first, but I don't think they'd be too hard to adjust to.

joe

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get what the point of this would be. That's what the bed is for. You want to cut the storage space of the bed off so you can create more wind resistance???

If you want a luggage rack on a pickup, then you shouldn't be driving a pickup.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen some nnbs Z71 Silverado’s with luggage racks. I assume they’re the same ones from the avalanche. Not sure if it was a factory option but the racks are definitely oem. I don’t understand the point either. That’s what I’d use the bed for. And put a tonneau cover on to keep it watertight and lockable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get what the point of this would be. That's what the bed is for. You want to cut the storage space of the bed off so you can create more wind resistance???

If you want a luggage rack on a pickup, then you shouldn't be driving a pickup.

You should re-read.

joe

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should re-read.

joe
re-read what? Do you not know what a pickup bed is? Why do you need a luggage rack when you have a pickup bed? Nobody is going to mount a luggage rack on a bed cover, because then its in the elements. If your bed is that full, and you still have luggage to add too, then you're going to remove the cover and use a tarp to cover it, or you get a cap. For you to be able to mount a luggage rack to a cover, it would have to be a hard cover. Hard covers are securable. What do you just have enough room for in the bed that you want to secure, that you would take with you and your luggage, yet don't want to secure your luggage? You also shouldn't need your luggage while driving, so when you are done you can secure it in the cab or take it with you. I promise, its not a practical idea.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yakima makes universal racks that can be used on just about anything, you could also use adjustable straps, they make bed covers with roof racks, the options are endless.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal