Ignition-hot source from a fuse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to find an ignition hot source for the pink wire hanging out in the pic. It’s for the lighting circuit for an aux light switch I installed. (The relay for the lights is powered direct from the batt, so I can run them with key off). My plan was to use a fuse tap in one of the fuses in this panel (drivers door jam) but it seems like they are all constant hot, even the ones that power accessories that only work with key on? Is there another source nearby? I’d like to use a fuse to avoid cutting into any harnesses, but will splice int a wire if need be. Thanks

E37C23AF-51DA-4A6E-9343-72F1196EB4CF.jpeg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to find an ignition hot source for the pink wire hanging out in the pic. It’s for the lighting circuit for an aux light switch I installed. (The relay for the lights is powered direct from the batt, so I can run them with key off). My plan was to use a fuse tap in one of the fuses in this panel (drivers door jam) but it seems like they are all constant hot, even the ones that power accessories that only work with key on? Is there another source nearby? I’d like to use a fuse to avoid cutting into any harnesses, but will splice int a wire if need be. Thanks

View attachment 394574
use the kickpanel just to the left and up from your left foot, the cover comes off and there are multiple power sources there.

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use the kickpanel just to the left and up from your left foot, the cover comes off and there are multiple power sources there.

Thanks, this worked great. I shied away from that source at first since there’s just four breakers in there, no fuses, but I didn’t think to try some of the exposed male connectors (for non-existent female plugs) for ignition-hot power. Turns out most are constant-hot but I did find a couple ignition-hot and just needed one. Switch works the way I want it now.

Jeramie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wiring a separate dedicated alternator in mine. It did not like that location at all. Trying to find a ignition source under the hood. Has to have power only when the engine is running. Any help to what fuse location would help me a ton! Only need 7.5 to 10 amp.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wiring a separate dedicated alternator in mine. It did not like that location at all. Trying to find a ignition source under the hood. Has to have power only when the engine is running. Any help to what fuse location would help me a ton! Only need 7.5 to 10 amp.
Check the gm upfitter guide but that kickpanel is the junction used by OEM and aftermarket companies. That's why it's there

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the reality here is that it is pretty easy to just use a meter and check which fuse or open fuse slot has power with key on and PICK one (that you like).

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My original post was for my 2009, but I just finished doing some similar stuff in my ‘13 (aux lights). I did things differently this time. I have my light switches in the overhead console and ran all wires to those switches on PS. Junction panel on PS door jamb had both the always-hot and ignition-hot sources that I need. (I think they’re the source for rear-seat entertain which I don’t have) Now the rocker switches I used have indicator lights that are always on with key, but also have a different indicator that comes on when switch is on. I plan to post up some pics soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic