Idle question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin253

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My truck seems to idle low at times and I'm not sure what to do. I have a 2001, 2 WD 94,000 miles. Any suggestions? Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck seems to idle low at times and I'm not sure what to do. I have a 2001, 2 WD 94,000 miles. Any suggestions? Thanks
a few things to do
1. new air filter
2. clean the maf (they sell spray at the auto parts store)
3. clean the throttle body (there is a spray for that as well)
4. clean the IAC valve and inside where it rest's, if so equipped (use the same throttle body spray)
5. run a couple bottles of injector cleaner per tank fill up for the next 3 tank full's

if that doesn't help a lot maybe consider have a injector cleaning service performed (they connect to the fuel rail and run it directly into the injectors)
if the problem still persists after that could be a failing IAC, maf, funky throttle body, poor fuel pressure, bad injector/s, bad coil pack/s, it just progresses beyond any of the above.
note* if you progress to replacing the IAC replace it with a identical oem one, the aftermarket ones never work right NONE of them.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
a few things to do
1. new air filter
2. clean the maf (they sell spray at the auto parts store)
3. clean the throttle body (there is a spray for that as well)
4. clean the IAC valve and inside where it rest's, if so equipped (use the same throttle body spray)
5. run a couple bottles of injector cleaner per tank fill up for the next 3 tank full's

if that doesn't help a lot maybe consider have a injector cleaning service performed (they connect to the fuel rail and run it directly into the injectors)
if the problem still persists after that could be a failing IAC, maf, funky throttle body, poor fuel pressure, bad injector/s, bad coil pack/s, it just progresses beyond any of the above.
note* if you progress to replacing the IAC replace it with a identical oem one, the aftermarket ones never work right NONE of them.
They don't sell just the iac by itself.

OP
OP
A

Austin253

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I really like this site. You guys are a great resource.

I went to valvoline today because I had a Groupon I bought for a full synthetic oil change. I know, I usually do them myself but I'm not living where my tools are at the moment. I paid for a full fuel system cleaning, like 70 bucks. The idle would dip at stop lights to below 1000 rpm at times. Had a stall or 2. Now it stays at a consistent 1000 rpm, slightly over, even with a load like a/c on or windshield wipers. I'm impressed with valvoline.

This is the type of service they did...

Maybe someone else can benifit from my question and have a great running Tahoe if they suffer from a low idle. 95,000 miles, runs perfect, and I'm gonna roll this thing until the wheels fall off.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I really like this site. You guys are a great resource.

I went to valvoline today because I had a Groupon I bought for a full synthetic oil change. I know, I usually do them myself but I'm not living where my tools are at the moment. I paid for a full fuel system flush, like 70 bucks. The idle would dip at stop lights to below 1000 rpm at times. Had a stall or 2. Now it stays at a consistent 1000 rpm, slightly over, even with a load like a/c on or windshield wipers. I'm impressed with valvoline.

This is the type of service they did...

Maybe someone else can benifit from my question and have a great running Tahoe if they suffer from a low idle. 95,000 miles, runs perfect, and I'm gonna roll this thing until the wheels fall off.

Thanks again
Hmm, I wonder if your RPM gauge is off (out of calibration) idle should be 600rpm, if you have a obd scanner or one of the bluetooth ones it should show your rpm's to verify what the gauge says on the dash

OP
OP
A

Austin253

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah. I just went a checked. U are right on the money. 600 is the magic number. My bad lol. Time for another drink, but no driving. 20190712_204610.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeSexingStick