I think my automatic lumbar mechanism has crapped out...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never mess with the lumbar [with the buttons on the seat], but had reason to the other day -- and nothing really happened. All I got was some weak, groaning noise from the mechanism, some pops and creaks, and absolutely no change in the lumbar. Also, the raising/lowering of the lumbar location doesn't work at all, and now the lumbar is too low (and really uncomfortable).

Do any of you know what the repair here is? Do they open up the stock seat and just address the mechanism? Or, am I looking at a new seat?

Also, any TSB on the mechanism, or anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks, folks.

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can pop the back panel off your seat to see the lumbar support. Mine did not work when I purchased the truck so when I took the back panel off the seat and my lumbar support was completely disconnected from the lumbar hight adjustment. I put them back together and it works but now sometimes I get a pop from the lumbar. I still have not figured that out yet.

mattah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has done this before, usually i shut off for about 30 mins. Do whatever I need to do at the office and when i leave its back up and running. Its strange but I have tried replacing the fuse, that works too.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can hear that there's power going to the mechanism, but like you suggested, I have the feeling that something is off its track, or something is stripped.

Have some instructions/input on how I go about popping the back panel? Is it a straight forward pulling motion, or...? Thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Mine has done this before, usually i shut off for about 30 mins. Do whatever I need to do at the office and when i leave its back up and running. Its strange but I have tried replacing the fuse, that works too.

It's definitely off its tracks, for lack of a better term. There's power, but nothing happens.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can pop the back panel off your seat to see the lumbar support. Mine did not work when I purchased the truck so when I took the back panel off the seat and my lumbar support was completely disconnected from the lumbar hight adjustment. I put them back together and it works but now sometimes I get a pop from the lumbar. I still have not figured that out yet.

Jason -- I'm bumping this in hopes that you can give me a little more direction on how to remove that back panel. At first look, it seems like it should just pull directly outward (away from the seat), but it also seems like the panel is able to slide upward some. I don't want to pull outward if I should be lifting it upward first or something.

Thanks!

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea grab it by the bottom and push up and pull out to release the lower hooks. Work your way up the sides on at a time from bottom to top by pushing the side you are working on towards the center on the seat and the pull out. When the bottom and sides are loose just pull it down and it will come off the top hooks. It comes off pretty easy, takes about 30 sec. Hope this helps kind of hard to explain. There are 2 hooks on each side so 8 total. They are good sized clips not like the ones on the door panels so they will not break as easy.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty clear. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoonshineXXX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

1st post here, but I’m sure I’ll be a regular soon! I just got the wife a 2009 Denali XL that we’ve already dubbed ‘The Tank” - 18.5’ of black and chrome badness! Anyway our truck’s power lumbar adjustment doesn’t work either. The dude at the dealer took the seat backs off to show me how everything works in there (the removal instructions posted by 2007tahoe are great!) and we could see and hear that upper motor was getting power but it wouldn’t function, kind of like it was broken inside. He said he would order the part and replace it, but his source was sold out, so that tells me it must be a common problem. I never use these functions, but the wife wanted to make sure everything was in order, so it was good that she caught it and that the dealer is going to fix it!

There is a lot of stuff going on with the lumbar adjustment mechanism, and I could see that a ham-****** DIY’er could potentially make a mess out of all the wires and cables, but if it’s not working already it’s worth a look! If anyone knows where a good source for the motor(s) is please post it and if anyone has done or will soon be doing the “fix” please post some pics for the rest of us! Thanks in advance for the future help!

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Bryan! Thanks for chiming in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wooshca01