i need an opinion on salt rust on trucks frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aztec

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased a 2012 GMC Yukon this weekend ( from new jersey ) and after I got it home I noticed that the undercarriage had quite a few areas with surface rust most likely salt rust. It is 95 % surface rust, it looks like the previous owner applied the rubberized black paint but it still kind of bothers me because it’s already peeling off. The rust is mostly on the frame.

The truck is in Texas now (San Antonio) I took it to a local body shop and they recommended applying

The stuff similar to the one they use on the trucks beds. Once you apply it and let it dry it will get really hard.

I read somewhere to use oil based rust proofer Amsoil Heavy duty metal protector but I guess I am too late for that since I already have the rust.

What do you guys think about this method?

I just dont want the rust to keep progressing.

Any help will be greatly appreciate it

Last edited:

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Amsoil HD-MP and/or Daubert NOX-Rust X121-B:

https://www.daubertchemical.com/store/product-list/corrosion-prevention/nox-rust-x-121b

Both do well--even over rust (unless it's flaky).

I just started using the Daubert as a replacement for the GM hot-wax coating. It works really well-sprays and flows well without running or sagging and has good build-up. It also matches the original GM coating. I wouldn't use the bedliner unless you are doing a frame-off and stripping the frame.

OP
OP
A

aztec

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thank you for the info kpwweb i will talk to the guy at the body shop and suggest the Daubert.
i didnt like the bedliner idea to begin with.
thank you very I really appreciated.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Having bought many vehicles from Upstate NY and living in Houston - I experience the same as you, but I just throw some 3M undercoating on it all and it never gets worse, and the stuff stays on for a long time. Being in the climate it is now, its not going to really get worse, especially to the point where you'll have failure. Its really just cosmetic.

OP
OP
A

aztec

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion flatdale, i may try that route first.. do you know the exact name of the product? or is it just 3m undercoating?

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I'll snap a pic of the ones we use tomorrow when I'm back at the shop

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought we covered them in mud and called it a job done? :grd:

OP
OP
A

aztec

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll snap a pic of the ones we use tomorrow when I'm back at the shop
hello fiatdale i am sorry to bother you , did you have a change to check the name of the stuff for the undercoating ?
thanks

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eastwood has a rust encapsulating undercoat that works well and is the easiest thing to use. I have also used their inside frame spray with good results. I used por15 and the undercoating about 3 years ago on my frame that was rusted bad and its still holding up. I touch up with the eastwood stuff. This year i will be coating with fluid film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bandaid bandit