I have a suspension, wheel, and brake question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 Yukon is lowered with keys and spindles up front. The DJM 5305 rear springs and hardware kit. No helper bags have been installed yet. However my sway bar endline is broken causing the sway bar to hit the exhaust. I am in the process of finding 22-24" wheels and run a 31.5-32" OD tire. I also need brakes. Without dropping Baer, Wilwood, and the company's of the like what upgrades can I make using OE parts. Thank you

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really tempted to run OEM PPV brakes when I redo mine. They're more heavy-duty than the civilian stuff and seem to be priced lower than the fancy aftermarket stuff. I went with cryo-tempered slotted Power Stop rotors and Hawk pads based on my past experience. The cryo-tempered rotors I put on my S10 back in '05 are STILL in use today despite many HARD 100+ MPH brakings. They just get new Hawk pads as needed- no resurfacing necessary. Ever. The rotors on my Tahoe are wearing faster than the pads and have had a "warp" to them since the first 800 miles, 700 of which was almost all highway on a trip to Florida.

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My last Yukon XL I built for my wife had 14" rotors front and rear with stock 2 piston calipers and on the front it had SSBC 3 piston calipers with SS lines and aggressive pad. Even with 305/40/22 it stopped strong. But with the Yukon I have now I am building it from spare parts from my Supercharged Silverado and don't want to drop aftermarket brake money on it. Besides SSBC stopped supporting our chassis

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really tempted to run OEM PPV brakes when I redo mine. They're more heavy-duty than the civilian stuff and seem to be priced lower than the fancy aftermarket stuff. I went with cryo-tempered slotted Power Stop rotors and Hawk pads based on my past experience. The cryo-tempered rotors I put on my S10 back in '05 are STILL in use today despite many HARD 100+ MPH brakings. They just get new Hawk pads as needed- no resurfacing necessary. Ever. The rotors on my Tahoe are wearing faster than the pads and have had a "warp" to them since the first 800 miles, 700 of which was almost all highway on a trip to Florida.

I haven't seen any reason to believe those PPV brakes stop any better than the factory brakes you got. What I read about those PPV brakes is that the bonus/purpose to those is they are designed to be as quiet as possible (so cops can roll up without screeching so many vehicles). My guess is that they aren't going to last as long knowing they are going to be fleet maintained.

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about the PPV brakes specifically. I was talking about retrofitting later model larger diameter rotors, bigger calipers, and better pads. I paid 1400 for this 06 Yukon and spent that on the lowering kit. So 3k or whatever an aftermarket BBK is now is out of the question. My goal is to recycle parts. My stock Duramax exhaust, the headers and Fast 102 from my Procharged Silverado. The Yank SS3600 from my Trailblazer, the 4.11 gears, diff and hardened axles from my Silverado and then build the LS2 from my Trailblazer and drop in for a fun 7 seater that hopefully is as quick as a stock TBSS.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Gmt900 is pretty much it for the front. The next in line is that SSBC 3 piston setup that you know all about. Other than that there is the Rudy's bracket with the Z06 caliper (but that sounds like its not what you are looking for)..

The GMT900 calipers with brackets bolt right up, you will need the rotors too. (the rotors are only .1" larger, but they are thicker and if you try to reuse the older rotors theres a .4" gap on the back. Hydroboost if you don't have it. That's about all I can think of if you are wanting OEM parts and not dropping more than you spent on it.

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm already hydro boost and I found a Brembo GT front kit. I just wish I could upgrade the rear calipers now. And I found some 20" declad GMC wheels that have been widened to 11" for the rear. I'm going to pick it up this weekend. I've seriously considered Rudy's bracket for the rear but just Z06 calipers are hard to find and crazy expensive. So I'll just PC the stock rear caliper whatever color I do the Brembo

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never updated on what I settled on for brakes. I am talking to a local machinist about possibly making a bracket to bolt Cayenne Q7 and VW Brembo calipers on the back of the SUVs. I think the rotors are the exact perfect size. Upfront the rotors are a little bigger but Eradispeed +1 might work out perfectly. They made a bunch more of those SUVs than C6Z. The calipers are stupid cheap and readily available and replacing the front rotor might be all that is needed.

20190911_151009.jpg

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.... The NNBS rear rotor is nearly the exact same size as far as height as the NBS. The NNBS is also a larger 13.6" or 13.8" rotor (as opposed to your current 13" rear). The swap is not worth it because the NNBS has a single piston caliper as opposed to the NBS factory dual piston. BUT, If you are going to upgrade the caliper anyways...

Not sure how big you want to go.

I'll bet a bajillion dollars those NNBS rears are going to be a lot cheaper than a Porsche anything... Those rotors are probably cheaper than a Porsche keychain.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout