I Autocrossed my PPV!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to autocross my 13 PPV yesterday. I've autocrossed many different vehicles, but not a truck. I wasn't even sure if they would let me compete with it, but I convinced tech it would be fine, and I promised not to roll it. I've been wanting to see what this thing could do pushed to the limits, and didn't want to do it on the streets. It did pretty good for a stock PPV with 78kmi suspension, and new Goodyear cop tires. Made 8 runs without even hitting one pylon, and every run were all within one second. I tried everything to go faster, running in 1st gear, 2nd gear, traction on, and off. Can't disable stability control on this truck, which seems to eliminate wheel spin to in the corners too. Anyway it did great, and I beat quite a few cars with it. It is pretty easy to drive at the limit, and you can't spin it around. Just drive the crap out of it until the front tires start complaining, and slow it down a little. Full tread depth tires didn't help, and I hated grinding a bunch of rubber off the new Goodyear'$, but they work very well. I don't plan on racing this thing again, so I won't try to optimize it for autocrossing, like needing -2 degrees camber, but now I have a much better feel for what it can, and can't do. I'm pretty sure I need new shocks though, since the originals don't have much rebound control, but I don't know what new ones feel like?
IMG_3661.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lightning 95

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you do compared to the other large vehicles?
I was the largest vehicle by far, other than a Chrysler 300 which as it turns out was the only thing I beat after seeing the final results. I was 8 seconds behind the fastest open wheel car which was probably 1/4 of my curb weight.

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try pressing and holding the traction control button to turn off stabilitrak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats awesome, i remember the first time i took the ppv tahoe on our PD course, its a hell of a lot of fun to push when you dont have to worry about hitting anything. As you mentioned, you would be surprised at how far you can push these things!!

I actually like how tahoes handle over the new explorers on dry surface, although the explorer out accelerates it and is more nimble (not to mention the awd is a lifesaver in snow) tahoe is more fun.

OP
OP
Lightning 95

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of tire pressures were you running?
Normally when I autocross I like to run the spec pressure that I normally drive with which in this case was 37 psi cold. I added 5 more to the front after a couple runs, but it didn't really help. Needs much more camber, but I wouldn't want to drive it everyday like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC