HVAC WTF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So over the summer, I wondered why the rear AC was mediocre. As we moved into winter, I noticed I had no rear heat. Pulled the panel off and fount this. Bend motor removed, hole cut out in air box and screw run through blend door holding it in the cold position. Gotta love backyard hacks.

Short term, I secured the blend door in the heat mode, and covered the hole better with some real duct tape. Long term, ill install a new blend motor and glue a piece of ABS over the hole once I know its working
IMG_20200107_150334038_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200107_152522729.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is a butcher "Git 'Er Done" method that you found.

I know this will rub some the wrong way but this is why I hate when people start talking about cutting fuel pump access doors in their rigs. Harder the other way to remove fuel pump? SURE, but is the recommended way and IMO safer way. In a hard core side impact the floor could buckle enough so that the cut away sharp edges rise and do leg damage to someone. But some are gonna do what some are gonna do.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
That is a butcher "Git 'Er Done" method that you found.

I know this will rub some the wrong way but this is why I hate when people start talking about cutting fuel pump access doors in their rigs. Harder the other way to remove fuel pump? SURE, but is the recommended way and IMO safer way. In a hard core side impact the floor could buckle enough so that the cut away sharp edges rise and do leg damage to someone. But some are gonna do what some are gonna do.
There's the good way

And the lazy way

Been there done that the lazy way on my last car. Honestly made more work in the long run. Told myself I wouldn't half ass anything on my rig and ya know what? It's been way better in the long run. Even if the fix itself takes longer

@OP wonder if you could find a junkyard housing?

OP
OP
Wylie_Tahoe

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@OP wonder if you could find a junkyard housing?
Going to pursue this option as well, as it looks like the mechanical actuator for the blend door has been tossed as well. No idea yet, if this is an available part from GM. Finding a complete air box gets me all the pieces, as well as a good chance of a working blend motor.

I agree with you @PNW VietVet Shortcuts are one thing, but just plain hacking up something to save time or money just costs in the long run. If the previous owner paid someone to do this, dang, it could not have cost that much more to just diagnose and repair.

At the least, they could have unplugged the blend motor, manually cranked it to the cold position and left it. No need to butcher the air box if making the repair wa snot in the cards at that time.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The easier way does not necessarily equate to the right way, or the safe way.

"Good enough" is often not good enough in the short run, and rarely good enough in the long run.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I ran shops the techs knew I would never accept "good enough". Were being paid to do it right and not for good enough. Especially when it came to any safety related concerns. If the customer wanted a patch/band aid job, I passed asap.