HVAC mode blend door actuator not working properly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2010 Avalanche - I can't get the mode on my heat/ac to change anymore. No matter where I set it (feet, defrost, upper vents) it doesn't really change. I got down and looked at the blend door actuator and think it's malfunctioning. When looking at it while changing the mode, I can see it turn, but it doesn't hit every "stop." There are tick marks on the actuator which I assume are for the specific modes. However, it doesn't make it all the way through all of the tick marks. Anyone know if it's supposed to or can get down and take a look at yours while changing modes?

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's on the driver side right behind the center console. You practically have to lay upside down by the pedals to see it. Mine doesn't, but it might have a cover over it. I can't quite remember and I've done so much work down there on my truck I may be missing some trim pieces.

West 1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2008 Suburban LTZ has this issue right now. I replaced the actuator and had it out about 8 times now, the lever with the teeth on it does move freely and will adjust from defrost to vent, the second lever turned by the mode door wheel? The large wheel the actuator connects to on install will not move the second lever that is well above the actuator and only touched by the slot in the mode door wheel. That second lever is stuck on mine and will not move, this keeps air from getting to the floor vents. Because it is stuck it also makes the actuator move to the defrost mode and stick there. I mistakenly replaced the module in the center console, no help, replaced the actuator 2 times before finding the second lever up above that is stuck causing this issue. I will report back when I find the solution or I will praise the helper that directs me to a solution! Thanks, first post on this forum but I turn wrenches all the time and I am active on other forums.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2008 Suburban LTZ has this issue right now. I replaced the actuator and had it out about 8 times now, the lever with the teeth on it does move freely and will adjust from defrost to vent, the second lever turned by the mode door wheel? The large wheel the actuator connects to on install will not move the second lever that is well above the actuator and only touched by the slot in the mode door wheel. That second lever is stuck on mine and will not move, this keeps air from getting to the floor vents. Because it is stuck it also makes the actuator move to the defrost mode and stick there. I mistakenly replaced the module in the center console, no help, replaced the actuator 2 times before finding the second lever up above that is stuck causing this issue. I will report back when I find the solution or I will praise the helper that directs me to a solution! Thanks, first post on this forum but I turn wrenches all the time and I am active on other forums.
You have to calibrate the system after actuator replacement and I've never been successful doing the manual version in this generation, it has always taken the Tech-2. A Tech-2 can talk to the BCM and give you the HVAC codes, if your controller is kaput, there's no way to know unless you can see the codes.

West 1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a Launch scan tool that can calibrate, I have done that to no avail. I found there are two levers moved by this actuator and wheel. One larger lever has teeth on it and moves freely. The other smaller lever only about 1 1/4" long and located above and to the right of the larger lever is not working properly. It is supposed to be able to rotate about 1", mine only moves 1/2". I think something is stuck inside the ductwork blocking the door this lever moves. I am working to find out how to get inside that duct to clear it.

West 1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When the actuator rotates it moves till it hits resistance and stops. Unfortunately for me mine stops well before it moves into the vent or floor heat positions. It is stuck on Defrost.
The stuck vent lever stops the actuator early.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the actuator rotates it moves till it hits resistance and stops. Unfortunately for me mine stops well before it moves into the vent or floor heat positions. It is stuck on Defrost.
The stuck vent lever stops the actuator early.
could be a broken door, you will probably have to pull it off and manually check if the door moves properly or not

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Launch scan tool that can calibrate, I have done that to no avail. I found there are two levers moved by this actuator and wheel. One larger lever has teeth on it and moves freely. The other smaller lever only about 1 1/4" long and located above and to the right of the larger lever is not working properly. It is supposed to be able to rotate about 1", mine only moves 1/2". I think something is stuck inside the ductwork blocking the door this lever moves. I am working to find out how to get inside that duct to clear it.
You have to put the dash in service mode, which means taking it apart to move it back on the passenger side to access the hvac so you can remove the whole thing. Good time to replace the evaporator and heater core.

SouthMain Auto on Youtube recently did a video about fixing the travel on the mode actuator to account for the foam insulation falling away.

West 1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have seen the South Main Video, that guy is tops on the Youtube channel in my opinion. I have not found any instructions on fixing that upper vent control, I suspect something dropped into it and is blocking it. It moves and stops solid both directions but does not move enough. Thanks for the tips.

I am thinking the only access is by removing the entire dash board??? I hope not because this rig has a Dashskin installed and I don't know if it can come out without destroying it since they are glued in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore