How to wire in relay for additional horn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just replaced the horns in my 2001 Yukon XL, they were shorting out and popping a fuse immediately when honking the horn. Now they work.

I’d like them louder and more pronounced... and would like to wire in a second pair of horns.

So I need to wire in the second pair of horns with a relay?

Or can I just splice into the existing wiring and plug in the second pair of horns? Can the 15A fuse handle that??

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can just add them to the existing horns I added 2 Hella horns when I had my 00 and never had any problems, just keep in mind different horns make different sound a "pair" may have 2 different tones that work together, when you find some that you think you might like try finding a youtube video of them so you get a idea of what they sound like.

when you wire them up just use the hot wire from the existing horns and then connect the ground wire to the frame this will put less stress on the factory wire.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah okay, so tap into the hot wires and ground to frame. Make sense. I’ll try that first, good to hear that it won’t blow the fuse.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just also reading up that wiring in a relay will be able to provide more power to the horns, effectively making them louder.

If I were to go this route, how to wire them in?

Ground from horn to frame, and ground to trigger source connected to the ground wire on the original horn?

And further, how to wire in both additional horns using one relay (which has a built in 30A fuse).

B6677E3B-F61E-4A56-AF4F-ADAAAC6955A0.jpeg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the factory horns work when power is sent to the horn.
you could wire both add-on horns with 1 relay, it wouldn't be any different than adding fog lights or anything else

HORN.jpg

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok nice, so I would just ground each horn individually and then splice a splitter to the output wire and connect both horns?

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In regards to connecting the relay to the battery, which way is best?

Would I be tapping into the 12v+ through the fuse box somehow?

Or a ring connector directly on the battery terminal bolt?

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there should be a lug or 3 if you pull the cover off the fuse box. I would just pull power from one of them. unless your running something crazy big it wont pull enough to be an issue.. I am sure you can find a diagram of all these pretty easy to get good power. if you cant find anything I could pull the cover on my avalanche in a day or two and grab a couple pics.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say “lug”, what do you mean?

I just ordered some fuse taps, which I will connect to the relay for power... Now just have to figure out which fuse to tap into.

A72FBAD4-063B-4EFA-9FE6-DB9970C78B31.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons