How To: Trailer Hitch on Tahoe PPV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much heavier is the bar with the hitch versus the blank bar? I got a hitch today and it seems really heavy.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much heavier is the bar with the hitch versus the blank bar? I got a hitch today and it seems really heavy.

Hmm, honestly don't remember. Mine has been on for a couple of years now.
There shouldn't be that big of a difference though.

stratos934

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just wanted to say thank you for putting up this post. I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe PPV and came to the same problem you had. I ended up finding reinforcement bar with a tow receiver. I followed your forum and swapped out the old bar with the new one with the hitch! It was some work getting off the 10 heavy duty bolts with no air tools but got it done. Now we can tow! Question for you, when you tow your trailer and race car, how does the engine and tranny hold up? I know these PPV's don't have the tow haul button. How about the brake sensor? Will that need to be aftermarket? Can't thank you enough, I had been looking at the aftermarket hitches too but looked cheap and like crap.

I'll attach some pictures

-Gabe

View attachment 63321

I tow our department's antique show vehicle on an 18 foot trailer to PR events every once in a while, and it does just fine. Transmission temperatures never break 200, even in Texas summers.

You'll need a brake controller. I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P17NXQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And love it. It's a progressive controller, so it applies braking force linearly with you pushing on the brake pedal. The cheap $20 controllers apply the same amount of braking force no matter how hard you press on the brake, and can be unpleasant in traffic. They have a youtube video that goes through every step of the installation...and you can do it yourself in about 30 minutes.

Newbie here, have been in search of a decent forum for a while now and stumbled across this one here. First time I've thought about doing a receiver hitch on my 2007 PPV and was curious as to the tow/haul settings. I've pulled plenty of trailers in civilian trucks with the tow/haul mode but how would this work in my Tahoe? I haven't had a chance yet to look into wiring/tuning fixes but was curious if anyone had added a tow/haul mode into a PPV that originally didn't come with one? Pretty sure I can copy a table from a civilian LT model and add it to mine but has anyone else done this before? I know this is an oooooooold thread but it looked like you all were fairly intelligent. Just looking for some insight.

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't want to start a new thread so bringing this one back to life. Just completed the trailer hitch Rebar install on my 2009 PPV (I thought it was a easy task). I was able to find an OEM from a wrecked 08, which came with the electrical connections for about $50... they also removed it for me do to COVID-19 and didn't want people picking parts.

Anyway, I would like to purchase the tow hitch cover like how the civilian models come with, but their are many different styles that say fit, but don't know if anyone has done the cover.

Don't know if any of these are correct? Also, do I need to drill holes or missing a bracket behind the bumper? Getting too many different options.

View attachment 249455

Hitch Cover 2.png

Hitch Cover 1.png

Last edited: