How To: Trailer Hitch on Tahoe PPV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mostwanted1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There seems to be some misinformation and a lot of guess work on this with no solid answers. So I just finished the project and thought I'd share the cost involved and part numbers so there is no more guessing. Yes the stock 2014 Tahoe reinforcement bar-rebar fits perfectly. You also need the trailer light receptacle. It just rotates in place. The job is easy. Most difficult part is the 10 HD bolts holding the support in place are very tight with some sort of plastic liner that keep them tight. So it takes a little man power if using non air tools. I have heard people paying $760 just for the support etc. this is what I paid. I walked in and they had both pieces in stock to my surprise. If anyone is looking for these parts call Jay at Jim a Ellis Chevrolet in Atlanta Ga. I have zero affiliation with these guys and was just a random walk in. Nice educated guys. They even offered a return policy as others did not if it didn't work. I will also add the wiring is underneath for trailer receptacle and the brake controller wires are also up under the dash. Everything you need is still on these trucks regardless of popular belief. Common sense says GM didn't rebuild these trucks just for no trailer option;) any questions shoot them over.

Part #25938524
Part #12191503

Less than $500 for both.

I am going to sell the standard PPV reinforcement bar with block off plate if anyone is interested. Not sure why anyone would switch but I have seen some people asking for them. I'll keep it for a few weeks then it hits the garbage. It is off a 2014 with 18k miles. No damage. If you want it shoot me an offer. Pick up is obviously ideal. They weigh a ton and shipping would be stupid although I do have the box the new one came in.

Hope this helps some people get this hitch stuff sorted out. I was surprised I couldn't find any solid answers.

image.jpg2_zpsigwx9pfg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mostwanted1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can't just go get a hitch at UHaul?

Why would you want an aftermarket mess. I've only seen one by Curt and it looks hideous as it drops out below the bumper. I rather have a stock oem look that I'm confident in. I'm towing a $100k race car and my family is always with me. No way I'm gonna risk it on an aftermarket hitch. This is plug and play. Bolts right in factory location and all wires plug in with ease. This post isn't about aftermarket hitches anyways. It's for the guys who are curious if the factory tahoe stuff works on a police tahoe. The answer is yes and it's reasonably priced.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool. I've been waiting for someone to post about this.
I found a re-bar a while ago, still haven't gotten around to installing it.
How do you get the bumper cover off?
I noticed the wiring harness zip tied and tucked up under the bumper.
I'll be installing mine within the next week or two.

I agree, this is the only way to go. Those Curt hitches are crap.

Thanks for posting this info, its much appreciated.

Lets see that race car now ;)

OP
OP
M

Mostwanted1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very cool. I've been waiting for someone to post about this.
I found a re-bar a while ago, still haven't gotten around to installing it.
How do you get the bumper cover off?
I noticed the wiring harness zip tied and tucked up under the bumper.
I'll be installing mine within the next week or two.

I agree, this is the only way to go. Those Curt hitches are crap.

Thanks for posting this info, its much appreciated.

Lets see that race car now ;)

The install is very easy and straight forward. Toughest part like I said are the 10 bolts they are threaded in with some sort of sealer. My advice is to use air tools. They aren't super tight. They just don't free up after broken loose. So it's a chore to get them all the way out by hand. Anyways, there are two tiny screws in each fender well and one push in clip which you remove with a flathead screwdriver. Open the rear hatch and there are 4 more tiny bolts and two push in clips. The clips are snug. One came out, one broke. Two more bolts holding bumper to support. Then the 10 biggies underneath. The bumper just pops out of place. I dropped the spare to give me more space. Tool kit is in the rear driver side panel in the back. Any questions let me know. There are no hidden bolts or anything. Every bolt screw or clip is easily visible. Slide the one out, slide the new one in. You need to transfer the spare tire tube over and also the two bolt clips to the new rebar. You need to buy the receptacle if you didn't already. It just rotates into the new rebar and the wires just plug right into the receptacle. The wires have an inserted plug for protection while not being used to keep dirt out. That needs to come out obviously. I'll post a few pics of the finished product.

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

image.jpg2_zpscwzzrjnj.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsmwcw5y6s.jpg

image.jpg1_zps5ndtyvrk.jpg

image.jpg5_zpshqknaiez.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsibysjs4l.jpg

Last edited:

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you want an aftermarket mess. I've only seen one by Curt and it looks hideous as it drops out below the bumper. I rather have a stock oem look that I'm confident in. I'm towing a $100k race car and my family is always with me. No way I'm gonna risk it on an aftermarket hitch. This is plug and play. Bolts right in factory location and all wires plug in with ease. This post isn't about aftermarket hitches anyways. It's for the guys who are curious if the factory tahoe stuff works on a police tahoe. The answer is yes and it's reasonably priced.

That, and on a PPV, it would drag the ground just about everywhere!

Nice work. Our '10 came with one, so we were covered there. I haven't looked for the controller wiring yet, but probably should, since the Tahoe will be our backup tow vehicle should our 2500HD have issues. Exactly where was the wiring stashed?

I'll probably test hooking the race car up next time we need to pull it off the trailer. We got a short offset hitch when we got our 96 SS, so I'm set there. I'll probably need to get another controller.

Black is a very slimming color! :) Nice looking truck.

OP
OP
M

Mostwanted1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That, and on a PPV, it would drag the ground just about everywhere!

Nice work. Our '10 came with one, so we were covered there. I haven't looked for the controller wiring yet, but probably should, since the Tahoe will be our backup tow vehicle should our 2500HD have issues. Exactly where was the wiring stashed?

I'll probably test hooking the race car up next time we need to pull it off the trailer. We got a short offset hitch when we got our 96 SS, so I'm set there. I'll probably need to get another controller.

Black is a very slimming color! :) Nice looking truck.

Thanks. The brake controller wiring is up under the dash by the brake pedal. Dark blue, red, black, blue white if I remember correctly. Don't forget to hook up the power wire under the hood. It is right by the fuse box tucked away. Just put it up to the two powered posts. You will need a bolt since the don't provide them;)

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's cool. Just asking the question.

My local dealer has 10 PPV's right now and I've got my eye on one.

OP
OP
M

Mostwanted1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's cool. Just asking the question.

My local dealer has 10 PPV's right now and I've got my eye on one.

Yeah no problem. Believe me I thought it over and looked at curt etc. but after seeing how beefy the stock oem is no way I would consider another. It bolts right up and I'm confident it will carry my precious cargo without failure. And if you shop the parts they are just ver $400 for everything. It's worth every penny.

And as for the PPV. I've had a lot of very expensive SUVs and this is a great truck. It drives very smooth. Has plenty of space and pick up. I doubt youll be disappointed. Good luck.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Thanks also for taking the time to post the pics :)

I'm a wee bit jealous of your light, mine did not come with one.