How To: Service/Replace ABS Wheel Speed Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
I don't think there is an aftermarket option for that sensor. But you can order a new sensor from the dealer without the hub bearing, but if you order a bearing it comes with a new sensor. But to test the sensor itself, you can unplug the harness side of the sensor and test with a meter to be able to tell if the sensor is actually bad, refer to the original post for the ACmV specs.

it seems that dorman has a sensor.They are on ebay!I wonder if it fixes the problem.It may be the case where an aftermarket part is better then oem.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it seems that dorman has a sensor.They are on ebay!I wonder if it fixes the problem.It may be the case where an aftermarket part is better then oem.

I personally do not see it being any "better" I mean hopefully it will be cheaper but if the mounting surface is need of attention changing the sensor is not likely to change anything.

The corrosion between the sensor and the mounting surface is the reason for cleaning. After the surface is cleaned it needs to be treated with a quality rust inhibitor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Freedom Motorsports

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is true. Even if there are aftermarket replacement sensors, the sensors themselves are a very simple design that rarely messes up without an extended period of operation with other issues in the system. Like stated, if the surface of the hub needs attention then the aftermarket sensor will have the same issues as the original sensor.

Also, like stated by ryan.m., if you have your truck scanned with the cheaper scanners like say from Autozone, they will often not show deeper hidden codes associated with narrowing down where your ABS issues are coming from. The dealer or anyone with a scanner that will also pull the right codes, can narrow down where the issue is whether it be with the right side, left side, the control module or other issues. While it does usually cost a good bit for this scanning (between $50-100 depending on who performs the scan), but narrowing down the issue before you get started can prove to save money and time fixing your ABS issues.

LT102

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can the Stability System be turned off fulltime (without doing any damage to the vehicle)? I know I can temporarily disable it but is there a way so I don't have to do every time I start the vehicle? Our 04' has a problem with the "traction activated" displaying and engine powering down when accelerating from a stopped position. From what I have read on this forum it's a sensor problem. After just dumping a grand into having the front ring & pinion replaced I'm a little short on cash and would like to delay this repair.

OP
OP
Freedom Motorsports

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe there is a way to disable it like you mentioned. When following the directions in this thread, it is very possible to service the sensors without spending more than $10 or so on some corrosion resistant paint. That is if you have the ability to do the mechanical side (ie: a place to do it being in winter, as well as the tools, etc)

On a side note. I had a Cadillac CTS a few years back that even when driving straight down the road at 25mph. The dealership (it was under warranty) wound up having me run a data logger on it because they could not replicate the problem when I took it in. It wound up being both the steering wheel position sensor and the yaw rate sensors that were not functioning properly. After going through three each of new sensors installed I finally wound up trading it because in owning it for two months it spent maybe a total of three weeks on the road. So there ARE other things that can cause the stability control to kick in, but from all accounts those other issues are very rare. To the point that the dealership said they had never seen one with the problems that the Cadillac had.

LT102

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you fore the info. I will try to repair the problem myself. I appreciate and think I can follow your step by step instructions. When I described the problem to the dealership they were not familiar with any such problems. Which shocked me as they are a GMC/Cadillac dealership. This issue is readily discussed on this forum and several other sites on the net.

LT102

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just finished doing this procedure on our 2004 Yukon. I thought I followed everything to the letter but now in the odometer window it says "service stability" the "ABS" light and the T/C lights are on. Where did I go wrong?

OP
OP
Freedom Motorsports

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible that you got too much paint on the hub after removing the corrosion. It is VERY easy to do. Much like the corrosion that needs removed, you can easily spray too much paint on the hub without meaning to. It would cause enough separation between the sensor and the magnetic gear inside the hub bearing to cause a failure in communication in the system. Possibly...

LT102

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That makes sense. Since I know how take everything apart and put it back together it should go smoother than the first time. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons