How to replace your fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxim9691

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice guide- had a local shop replace mine for $400 and after reading this I feel better about the cost.

99Yukon4x4

Reaction score
Good write up, but question for anyone. I just did mine (2nd time in a GM product), and got the old one out, and put the new one it, got the wiring harness figured out. Now, I went and put gas in it, and found that it would really not go past 1/4 tank. I pulled the pump again (I had cut an access hole in the floor board, since my bolts and straps were not being friendly), and my tank was damn near full. I have a 4 door 4x4 Yukon SLT, could I have gotten either a bad fuel pump, or the incorrect one?

Thanks!

99Yukon4x4

Reaction score
After getting the wiring schematic for the original plug (square), and going over the new plug harness, it is not as easy as going A to A, B to B, C to C, and D to D. Mine was color coded to match both harness's. I did it the above way, and it thru a check engine code, and with a full tank, it was reading 1/4 or less. Switched wires, and engine code went away, and fuel level went accurate. Not sure if it is the same with all units, but this is how it worked for me.

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine I put an external pump on mine. If it goes out again then I don't have to drop the tank. On my old truck it took me about 15 mins to chance it out when it went out for the 2nd time. Just an idea for those who are keeping there for a long long time.

rocky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I did mine I put an external pump on mine. If it goes out again then I don't have to drop the tank. On my old truck it took me about 15 mins to chance it out when it went out for the 2nd time. Just an idea for those who are keeping there for a long long time.

Great idea!
Can you post pics and part #'s?

gc_mountainman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

xanatost,

Ditto. Would you please post the make and model of the external fuel pump and any pic's would be great.

It is the long weekend here in the bush of Central BC and the parts stores will be closed til Tuesday, lol. Damn my luck. But it looks like a new fuel pump is in my future.

RAVINGMADMAN,

Thanks for this information. I hope after I get the new relay in my Hoe will fire up straight away. Hopelessly, optimistic!

Thanks all,

Mountainman.

gc_mountainman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well halfway there. The fuel tank and pump are out, just waiting for the pump to arrive in the morning.

Any opinions on the brand of pump to put back in?? I have gone with an AC Delco, but looked for a Bosch as well.

The guidance from Ravingmadman has helped alot. Maybe I need one more sanity check before tackling the re-assembly.

Mountainman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal