How much will I have to trim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamzzz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2014 4x4 LS Tahoe. I recently ordered 17x8.5 (0mm Offset) Method Race Wheels and 285/70/17 TOYO Open Country RT's. The Tahoe is stock but will soon be getting a 2inch leveling kit in the front.

I am fully aware I am going to have to trim some fender liner, but I do not want to trim anything serious like body panels, bumper, or fenders themselves. Does anyone know how much I will have to trim on something like this?

I have been scared since ordering the tires of having to trim too much or the vehicle not being able to perform on/off road as well due to these bigger tires and rubbing problems. Someone please help me clear my mind...

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first recommendation is to complete the planned level mod, before installing the new wheels and tires, and worrying about any trim issues. Otherwise, you will simply be guessing, and since leveling kits do not produce the exact same result for each and every truck, other folks experiences are not guaranteed to become the same experience for you, as well.

To get an initial look into what may happen with the new wheel/combination, you can use the wheel/tire size comparison app at the URL below. Measure the critical clearances identified in this app with your current wheel/tire combination into the app, add your desired wheel/tire combination into the app, and the app will provide the projected changes in the critical clearances.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

Other folks will chime in with their experiences.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Gamzzz Like @Joseph Garcia said, there are far too many unknown variable for strangers on the internet, the best we can do is guess. Take things one step at a time so that you can properly plan and get things fitted just right. You might find that the lift doesn't lift it nearly as much as you were hoping or that your wheel offset is far too extreme and then you have to back track.

Try not to stress, you'll spend hours searching forums looking at people builds that are similar to yours but are not exactly the same so you won't know for sure if things will fit. Put the lift on, and then put the new front wheels and tires on and see for yourself what needs to be done. Maybe you need to lift it 2 more inches and add lifted upper control arms.

Or you could be like me and just not turn your steering wheel to full lock because my shit RUBS

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throw inner fender liner in trash. Hit pinch welds with 10lb sledge until palms bleed. Cut 6" out of fenders and it shouldn't rub.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ignoring the offset those are barely bigger than stock. I wouldnt stress.

275x55xR20-285x70xR17.png