How important is a C Load Tyre?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UAEdunes

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering how important it is so stick with a C load rating for comfort?

I do a lot of fast highway driving and the rest is mostly sand dunes with occasional loose rocks. Never any wet or snow.

I really want to go bigger A/T tyres but everything I find is an E rated tyre.

Is it really that harsh? Do you not just run them at a lower pressure to compensate?

I know I’ll have to do a lot of trimming and pinning back on the fender liners.

My ideal would be a 285/65R20 (maybe Firestone destination XT at 53 lbs) or 295/65R20 (Grappler G2 at 61.3lbs) but at the moment the only C I can find is 275/65R20 Terra Grappler G2 and they come in at a very low 47.4lbs.

I’m also trying to keep the weight as low as possible for better driveability.

Any comments welcome, thank you

Reddevil96

Reaction score
the standard tire as delivered is a SL (standard load) rating, basically a car tire rated for light trucks and SUV's. The next step up is an XL load rating, Then C, D, E, F. Unless someone chimes in, there are currently no available modules or programing for larger than OE tire sizes, which is roughly 28.9- 33" tall. The trade off with some aggressive tire and definitely with higher load range tires is a lower speed rating. So, if you want speed then you are going to have to find a middle ground on what tire you get, probably best to stay with a XL rated tire. Most of your All Terrain tires are an S (112mph) or T (118mph) rating with either a SL or XL rating.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
E will absolutely give a harsher ride, even at lower pressure, the carcass is stiffer.

I say this from personal experience on multiple vehicles.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea e’s should not only give a little harsher ride, but would also expect slightly worse performance/gas mileage as they are usually quite a bit heavier. That being said, they usually have a much thicker tread compared to sl’s or xl’s, so they may last longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts