How did this thief break into my Tahoe? *video inside*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evoalex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tl;dr: How did this thief break into my locked 2015 Tahoe?

Story:
At the beginning of the video you see me jump in my car to move it closer to the curb. I was way over 13 inches away, and they give tickets for those sorts of thing in LA.

I started loading the back seat of my truck this morning with camera gear for the day (I'm a photographer) and noticed my truck smelled A LOT like cigarette smoke. Mind you I don't smoke, I found this kind of weird. I immediately looked at the front passenger seat and noticed all of my center console items tossed around the seat and on the floor. This is when it clicked that someone else had been in it and presumably tried to steal stuff.

I immediately went to my nest cam to see if I had locked my door and sure enough I had. Then I went on to find this low life digging through my truck at 4:34am.

Anyway, my question is. What device did he use to open up my drivers side door? Take a look at the video and let me know what you think.

Attached is the mess I found this morning. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING was in plain sight. I keep my car empty because I've heard of this stuff happening around the neighborhood. The neighbor had her older generation escalate broken into the same way.

IMG_6363.JPG

Last edited:

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Youre absolutely positive it was locked? No lights flash, and he literally walks up to the door and opens it.

OP
OP
evoalex

evoalex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Youre absolutely positive it was locked? No lights flash, and he literally walks up to the door and opens it.
100% positive.

On a side note - not bad video coming off that Nest cam.
Yeah it's amazing, it's in an outdoor weatherproof case too. This was shot at 720p but it records in 1080.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Chance it accidentally got unlocked at some point thru the rest of the day? He wastes no time opening the door. If he spoofed the signal, you would still see your lights flash during unlock.

OP
OP
evoalex

evoalex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chance it accidentally got unlocked at some point thru the rest of the day? He wastes no time opening the door. If he spoofed the signal, you would still see your lights flash during unlock.

I went back and reviewed the video, and I open the tailgate at one point during the day to look for something. Then close it manually.

This morning I tried opening the door with the key only and the Tahoe starts honking lightly until you hit the unlock button on the fob. Signs are pointing to me accidentally hitting the unlock when I went back to open the tailgate later in the day.

This scenario is upsetting but makes me feel better about someone not being able to unlock the Tahoe without a fob.

Last edited:

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Ive been in the same boat and didnt have a video. Swore up and down I locked it, but wife confirmed thru series of events that I didnt. And the bastards got my Sunglasses.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad thing is if they wanted in there is multiple ways to get in but I hear ya on it being an uneasy feeling that they can get in so easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076