Hotchkiss Front and rear sway bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just ordered the Hotchkiss front and rear swaybar kit. The installation instructions do not have the torque specs for the bushing brackets or the end links. Does anyone know what the stock torque specs are for these?

Thanks!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Hellwigs on mine but I would presume the torque specs should be similar, I would also utilize some blue lock-tight on the D bushing bracket bolts I have had them back-out on there own in the past and that just causes all kinds of problems. first the brackets bend and then the sway bar will start banging on the body so just a heads up.
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/manuals/Hellwig/7707.pdf

the above referenced manual is for a rear sway bar, the front one will only use 20-30lbs

OP
OP
Tk59194

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sir,

Thank you very much for all the advice!

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interested to hear your thoughts and opinions of these swaybars after you install them and put in a few miles.

I know the Hotchkis bars are a hollow design which allows them to be lighter, and figured with how heavy our trucks are may be best to stick with a solid bar versus saving a couple pounds. I'm sure the weight difference between the Hotchkis bars and the stock sway bars is easy to feel during install.

Post up your thoughts after install and some driving!

OP
OP
Tk59194

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interested to hear your thoughts and opinions of these swaybars after you install them and put in a few miles.

I know the Hotchkis bars are a hollow design which allows them to be lighter, and figured with how heavy our trucks are may be best to stick with a solid bar versus saving a couple pounds. I'm sure the weight difference between the Hotchkis bars and the stock sway bars is easy to feel during install.

Post up your thoughts after install and some driving!

These should be arriving in a few days and I plan on posting photos of the install and giving my thoughts on their performance as well. The bars are not cheap, and I have been looking forward to purchasing them for awhile now. I considered the Hellwig as well as the Eibach bars because of their solid construction, but in the end I chose Hotchkiss based on the fact that 1) the bushings clamps have greaseable fittings, 2) the installation instructions come in full color and are extremely detailed (except for the torque specs) and 3) almost every review I've read about them have said that the fit was near perfect and ease of installation was on point.

The reason I chose to upgrade the sway bars was just to flatten it out a little around corners and on the highway. If this vehicle was being used on a track, I would have most definitely chose a solid bar. Additionally, If I were using the vehicle for a lot of off-road activity, I would have chosen a solid bar as well. My vehicle is used mostly on the street with very limited off-road use and no track use (obviously). I'd be extremely surprised if these bars ever fail.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TK -

Did you purchase the Hotchkis 2292 Front & Rear Kit?
If so; Did it come with any endlinks or did you have to purchase those elsewhere?
Lastly, Are you at stock height or lowered? If lowered by how much and what endlinks did you purchase?

Been looking at swaybars myself and would upgrade the endlinks both front and rear at the same time, and since I'm lowered interested to see what type and length endlinks people are using to keep their swaybars parallel.

OP
OP
Tk59194

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, 2292. Came with 1 set of links. I'm on stock suspension.

0330191424a_HDR~2.jpg 0330191425_HDR~2.jpg

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pic. Comes with front end links. They look like typical Energy Suspension links, which are simple but a good design.

Look like nice bars and the grease zerks in the mounting brackets are nice. Other swaybar kits don’t offer that...

I’m lowered about 1.5”/2.5” and already have the DJM rear swaybar end links. Really interested to hear your impressions of installation and impacts on ride and handling.

OP
OP
Tk59194

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installation is complete, here are my thoughts:

Packaging: the kit came nicely packed in a large box. Each bar was in plastic bag and all parts and hardware came in nicely labeled bags. Plenty of foam cushion in the box to prevent scratches. Nice instructions and a cool Hotchkis sticker pack.

Installation: installation was straight forward. Instructions were easy to follow and everything fit perfectly. Took me roughly 1 hour for the front and 1/2 hour for the rear. I did not have the truck on a lift or it would have went faster.

Materials: it's a nice kit. The bars are extremely beefy and the powdercoating is really nice. The kit came with front end links which are very similar to the energy suspension links/bushings. The swaybar bushings have divots on the inside of them to maintain grease longer which is a nice touch. Additionally, the brackets have zirc fittings built in to make re greasing easy. Compared to stock, the front bar is just slightly bigger diameter. The rear bar is larger than the stock bar by quite a bit. (Did not measure)

Price: I paid just shy of $500 shipped. Not the cheapest set of bars out there, but not the most expensive either.

Performance: this category is tough to measure. Simply put, the truck feels more planted. The understeer is almost completely gone. Corners that I normally have to start breaking around, I do not anymore;the truck glides effortlessly around them and i am able to accelerate. It by no means turned my truck into a race car, but it rides so much flatter now. It's more fun to drive and feels safer. The front end doesn't dip down quite as much going into turns. On the negative side, uneven terrain/bumps are felt a little more now.

Overall: honestly we all want to believe that the parts we put on our vehicles are worth the money we spent. I'll not sit here and say these bars are the best thing ever. What I will say is that next to my BB tune, it's the best money I've spent on this truck yet. For those of you that are really into performance/ handling of a vehicle, I'd say this is a great investment and definitely a good "bang for your buck" mod. Hotchkis claims 30% stiffer in the front and 80% stiffer in the rear for the Tahoe and Yukon. I drove it after only the front and could tell a very slight difference in stiffness. After I added the rear and drove it, I could instantly feel the difference. I am glad I went with the kit that I did. It would of driven me crazy if I only swapped the rear and didn't match the front. If that kind of thing doesn't bother you then I recommend going with the rear.

***one odd thing I noticed is the Hotchkis end links are shorter than the stock end links. Not sure why. I installed them and everything seems to work just fine.0330191426_HDR~2.jpg 0330191905a_HDR~2.jpg 0330191653_HDR~2.jpg 0330191656_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the front endlinks are probably made shorter to make the bar more "stiff" the Hellwigs use the stock front endlinks but they do include there own endlinks for the rear sway bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu