Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Here’s a recipe for washer fluid that you can make yourself that will save you a bit of money and will apparently help the environment a tad...

-8 ounces 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (double this in freezing temps)
-1 ounce liquid Castile soap
-4 drops Blue food coloring (optional)
-1 Gallon water

Pour IPA into empty jug first. Then fill with water. Slowly add soap and colorant. Cap the jug and turn upside down slowly a few times to mix. Done.

Here’s the original recipe (scroll down and see how the lady broke down the cost of DIY vs store bought)...

https://www.diynatural.com/homemade-windshield-washer-fluid/

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
If not in freezing weather, I have gotten by a few times just using water and a few ounces of vinegar. The vinegar is to acidify the water a bit and reduce any tendency for water spots if it’s hard water.

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
If not in freezing weather, I have gotten by a few times just using water and a few ounces of vinegar. The vinegar is to acidify the water a bit and reduce any tendency for water spots if it’s hard water.

Even better yet!

Reaction score
I just buy the $2 gallon jugs at Walmart...lol

The - 20 below washer fluid usually has about 30-35% methanol to keep it from freezing.

I also use it in my supercharged mustang that has a meth injection system, but I'll add a bottle or two of the yellow HEET, which is mostly methanol, to bring the percentage up to about 50%

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And some soaps change the freezing properties. Dawn is great for bug scraping with water, but when freezing with -20 blue will freeze soon as it hits glass and smears. Takes a few flushes to clear out the soap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645