Hole in muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_9442.JPG IMG_9443.JPG IMG_9444.JPG IMG_9445.JPG IMG_9446.JPG I Just purchased this tahoe a week ago.

I think I have a hole in my muffler because it's dropping water.

I'm leaning on replacing with a super 40 flowmaster muffler. What do you guys think? Haven't searched yet but does flowmaster make a super 44 for 2004 z71?

My last truck had dual cat back that sounded pretty nice.

We don't have any emissions here in Michigan so while I have it at the exhaust shop should I do anything else to it besides replace the muffler? I think some people remove the resonator? I want a nice v8 sound without too much drone as I drive 30 miles to work. I understand there will be some drone with the fm though

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hole let’s condensation drip out so the exhaust doesn’t rot from the inside out..but its normally on muffler or on a resonatorz that hole looks like its in weld, simple fix at any exhaust shop, it should cost about $1.00 to fix if you find it necessary to fix it. Seriously tho, nothing to go crazy over..

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a super 44 there won`t be some drone, There will be a LOT of drone. I`m pretty sure there have been a few guys around here that put one on their tahoe and they replaced it with something larger soon after due to their ears bleeding.

I have a flowmaster 50 series delta flow with close to no drone at all, It`s an inch thinner than the 50 SUV muffler and is slightly louder. I think its pretty damn loud but i have a catback with a three inch pipe from the cat to the muffler and dual two and a half inch tails with four inch tips. I imagine it would be quieter if you just replaced the muffler on the stock pipes.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your muffler dual in and out? If so get this Magnaflow

80813bae843f4412c1a36a2632c2b0c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Since you just purchased the rig a week ago you might want to put this small thing on the back burner and see what comes up after you drive for a while. You could put lots of money in the exhaust and then find out you have a transfer case problem or something like that and then wish you had not spent the bucks on an exhaust hole that you can't even hear. But if you want I can always chime in and help you spend your money, if you want to.

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you just purchased the rig a week ago you might want to put this small thing on the back burner and see what comes up after you drive for a while. You could put lots of money in the exhaust and then find out you have a transfer case problem or something like that and then wish you had not spent the bucks on an exhaust hole that you can't even hear. But if you want I can always chime in and help you spend your money, if you want to.

That is true. I thought about that also. I'm gonna start driving it Tuesday and after driving a while I'll see if there are any surprises.

So far I need to replace the oil sending unit which I was aware of.

I have an oil leak which I'm not happy about since the seller assured it had no leaks since "it sat in his garage and he'd know if it leaked". He must have wiped it clean since when I looked underneath it was clean and dry.

I also already replaced the battery since it died a few days after buying it. Hopefully it's just a dead battery and not some electrical problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JIMEMAC33