Hitch Box vs. Roof Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For those wanting a hitch rack and still open the rear hatch, this is what you seek:

Only potential issue I have with this setup is carrying a heavy load on my hitch rack, it can bounce me around a little as it cantilevers the rear end, or something along those lines.

Just know that extending the trailer receiver can lower the tongue weight capacity. Leverage. I don't know the formula but it can affect it.

Having said that, and apart from the cargo/liftgate clearance, sometimes it's helpful to have the trailer hitch a bit farther away from the liftgate for opening clearance, especially when there's a hitch jack that's a little too tall.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Thule roof box and while it works well, due to the types of bags we have it can be a little difficult to load, think Rubin cube, as well it is on the roof so can be more aggravating to load than necessary. Was wondering if any of you have used the Yakima EXO hitch system, specifically the double box seen below?

View attachment 386547

I watched most of a video on etrailer showing the system. It looks pretty sweet. I didn't watch the whole thing so I don't know if they addressed stabilizing the mount into your hitch. The hitch usually has a fair amount of play that can let a carrier wobble and aside from noise can change clearance on one side or the other. It's not something I need but I like the design, price not so much.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check local regulations on blocking the rear license plate. I got burned carrying a snow blower on rear hitch cargo carrier. Wanted to kick that cop's ass. He said the plate had to be visible, that I should mount it to the carrier so it can bee seen. Ridiculous.

Technically, he was right. In actual practice, if it's obviously a short term cargo solution, they don't bother. In most locales, you can't have anything, clear or not, over the numbers and decals on your plate. Those smoke colored license plate covers are illegal. Most of the time, the cops have more important things to do. License plate frames are okay as long as the renewal stickers are visible.

I have a roof rack and a hitch carrier for my CX-5. When I travel, I usually have one bag with a small bag for technical stuff like chargers and such. Momma can't pack light though. I've had the roof rack and hitch carrier both loaded and the rear seats flat and the inside was stuffed too.

We had a talk about that once as half the stuff she brought, we didn't use.

OP
OP
twernst

twernst

Reaction score
I have a hitch rack I used on my Rubicon. Aluminum from Quadratec. Came with a storage bag. Not as fancy as the Yakima in your pic, but my point is that it is light weight, easy and works great when I need it. Also got a cool “hitch” mount for my garage wall for it from Amazon to store it.
Love the idea of getting a “hitch” mount for garage storage. Never would have thought of that.

OP
OP
twernst

twernst

Reaction score
Roof Storage = Hard to Access and Terrible Gas Mileage

Hitch Storage = Can't Open Tailgate

Prefer a trailer over either option.
Thanks but the beauty of the EXO system is it is singable and the boxes come off, think old style steamer trunk.

OP
OP
twernst

twernst

Reaction score
OP
OP
twernst

twernst

Reaction score
I watched most of a video on etrailer showing the system. It looks pretty sweet. I didn't watch the whole thing so I don't know if they addressed stabilizing the mount into your hitch. The hitch usually has a fair amount of play that can let a carrier wobble and aside from noise can change clearance on one side or the other. It's not something I need but I like the design, price not so much.
Agreed it is pricey, I did the whole wish list package and it was like $1,400.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076