HID replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdombrowki21

Reaction score
I am trying to replace my factory HID's in my 2016 Yukon Denali, and I am not sure from what I have read exactly how they come out. Do they twist out? Pull straight out? do I have to remove the housing? (I hope not) Thanks!!!

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will kind of help you...

OP
OP
jdombrowki21

jdombrowki21

Reaction score
I have watched this before, so the factory HID's come out the same way as Halogens? Not trying to be a smart a$$

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have watched this before, so the factory HID's come out the same way as Halogens? Not trying to be a smart a$$

No they do not (not smart ass at all), because I didn't learn the answer to your question until I did it myself.

You can use the above video and all is the same to get access to the low and high beam bulbs, but in the video above the low beams are not factory HID's. Actually removing the factory D3S HID bulb is a little different process.

So the socket of the bulb has a white twist lock collar on it with tabs on either side, the tabs are there to just assist with being able to twist the collar. The collar is some what of a circular U Shape, and you have to twist it loose(to the left) then pull up on it to remove it, once this is removed the stock D3S bulb will come out of the socket (the bulb may come out without the white collar being completely removed, but it will for sure be loose), you can now un plug the D3S HID ignitor plug. Connect the new D3S bulb to the HID ignitor plug, you will then line up the tabs on the base of the bulb with the back of the socket. This is when it gets tough only because it's a tight squeeze. At this point you'll need to use 1 hand to hold the bulb in place and sit flush into the socket, while you use the other hand to push down and then twist the white plastic locking collar back on. Once on twist right to tighten up and you are done.

Use gloves and avoid any skin contact to any of the glass on the HID bulb, wiping the new bulbs down with alcohol swabs before install to ensure they're completely clean isn't a bad idea either.

Hope this helps.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. That whole white ring twists loose in order to allow the bulb to be removed.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's a tight space in there. I had a hard time as well, spent more time trying to get the bulbs out than I did removing and reinstalling the air intake box!

If you're having a hard time twisting loose the white plastic ring, maybe try putting a flat head screw driver in there on the tab and prying upwards on the tab I had to do this on the passenger side ring to initially loosen it up, then I was able to twist it the rest of the way off with my hand.