HID lights only work intermittent after 1 year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topher8ty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Searched around for people experiencing similar problems and have come up short. Figured I would try my luck here.

I bought the 2015 Tahoe LT back in April 2014 and one of the first things I always do is upgrade to HID. Ordered the Kensun 55w kit off of Amazon. I have ran these kits on 4 other vehicles with zero issues. This time I had a professional installer do it... I was out of state.

I immediately ran into the flicker issue. The installer installed some anti flicker modules and that seemed to fix it. On the drive back to my state, the right passenger light stopped working. Lots of emails back and forth with Kensun and they were possitive it was the anti flicker modules that were installed. So, I ordered their 55w relay that taps into the battery but it still did not work... only intermittently. Come to find out there was something faulty with the ballast. They sent a replacement and it seemed to work fine.

Every so often the right light would not turn on, a little playing around with the unlock/lock with the key FOB and it would turn on.

Now, neither of them work 95% of the time. I try the key FOB trick and nothing... the led lights, blinkers/side markers, fog lights and high beams all work fine. I try to switch from auto to manual inside the vehicle and nothing works. Its pure luck if I go out and start it that they work.

I am at a loss for ideas... I could replace the stock bulbs, order a higher end kit (what was suggested by the original installer), or I read something about the DRL's possible screwing it up. I have no clue, hopefully someone here has a fix.

I have a 2014 Camaro that has these kits in both the foglights and headlights, zero issues. I run them in an Acura for at least 8 years now with zero issues. And I had them in 1 2011 Charger with no issues.

If needed I can post pics of the setup... Thank

OP
OP
T

Topher8ty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Didn't your mommy ever teach you that if you do not have anything nice to say, then shut your mouth.

Just for you, I also installed a front end leveling kit and did not adjust my lights, so they are right in your eyes at night. I also upgraded my fog lights and high beams so they are rediculously bright. Now all 4 of my high beams and low beams run when I hit the highs to shine the light of god upon them... haha

Anyways, I was able to trace the problem to the relay that came with the kit and runs the HID lights. It was a 4 prong, 40a/12vdc relay. I bought a new one at Autozone for $7.29. They are working with no issues.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Probably only a matter of time before they fail again. Those kits (Im guilty as anyone else too for using them in the past) are extremely cheap and don't last like a high quality kit does. Nor are they even comparable to a good brand 55w kit. A good 35w kit will blow away a Kenisun, Xentec or whoever else 55w kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbris21

Latest posts