Here is Lifter (AFM) Solution on 2021+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast_AT4

RWM +1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased the Gen 5 kit from whipple. Yes definitely voids the warranty once you unlock the PCM, however whipple was offering extended warranty for like $700 before January of this year. They're no longer offering it due some issues with the service provider they were using to cover the extended warranty. My technician here in ATL is charging me between $1500-$1700.
That is cheap for the install. Let us know how it goes and/or pics/videos.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your correct about TRIFECTA. Also HP TUNERS is now unlocking them. I just received the Gen 5 whipple kit and unfortunately requested a refund for the ECM unlocking through TRIFECTA because their tuning prevents me from tuning if I'm adding an upgraded cam shaft and kooks headers. Godwilling I'll be dropping it off next week to have everything done.

Hi,

I recently purchased the Gen 5 kit from whipple. Yes definitely voids the warranty once you unlock the PCM, however whipple was offering extended warranty for like $700 before January of this year. They're no longer offering it due some issues with the service provider they were using to cover the extended warranty. My technician here in ATL is charging me between $1500-$1700.

Are you aware that they use the Gen 4 2.9L whipple system? I got the same quote from them but for under $20k I'm having the Gen 5 3.0L whipple kit installed along with a DOD delete, camshaft upgrade and long tube headers. That's includes the unlocking of the PCM and tuning!
@Stonebx

I was not aware that there were an DFM/DOD delete kits and tuning abilities for the '21+ SUVs.

Are you able to use some of the same parts in the 6.2 L87 as the 6.2 L86 of the previous K2XX gen SUVs?

What year is your Yukon Denali?
How and what are you using to tune it once the work is done?
What lifters will you be using and installing?
Since you're upgrading the cam...
Are you re-suing your stock heads?
If so; Are you upgrading any of the valvetrain in the stock heads? Valve Springs, Rocker Arms, Push Rods etc.?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also HP TUNERS is now unlocking them.
Are you sure they're doing it for the SUVs? I know they have an unlock service for the E90 ECU but last I knew they were only supporting the pickup trucks up to '22 with the MVI interface.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM is deactivated with the tune

Unfortunately, simply deactivating the AFM (or in your case with the 2021+ DFM) electronically with a tune is not a solution for the lifter failure.

;);), still original lifters. Active Fuel Management is disabled.

The reason it's not a solution is because of this^^^ You're still running the original DFM collapsible lifters. Which is the actual mechanical part that is failing due to their design.

The weak point is not in the ECM and software "activation and function" of the DFM system.
The weak point is the actual mechanical parts in the engine that make up and allow the DFM to function; specifically the lifters.

You're Whipple supercharger will be fun though! :driver:

Stonebx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you sure they're doing it for the SUVs? I know they have an unlock service for the E90 ECU but last I knew they were only supporting the pickup trucks up to '22 with the MVI interface.
I guess I'll have to double check now but the performance shop that's doing my install informed me that they were. He even asked whipple for a refund on the ECM unlock fees that I paid for because whipple made it clear that we can't do any additional tuning once TRIFECTA gets it and our issue is we're adding the upgraded cam and kooks headers. Also doing the mechanical DOD delete at the same time. I'll reach out to HP my self but the shop I'm dealing with is reputable and do this all day long so I would hope whoever he reached out to is correct!

Stonebx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Stonebx

I was not aware that there were an DFM/DOD delete kits and tuning abilities for the '21+ SUVs.

Texas speed sells the kit. Tuning capabilities after unlocking ECM.
Are you able to use some of the same parts in the 6.2 L87 as the 6.2 L86 of the previous K2XX gen SUVs?
Not sure about this!
What year is your Yukon Denali?
How and what are you using to tune it once the work is done?
I'm not doing the tune. The performance shop is ..sorry that i can't elaborate more but i will once its all done.
What lifters will you be using and installing?
LS7
Since you're upgrading the cam...
Are you re-suing your stock heads?
Yes
If so; Are you upgrading any of the valvetrain in the stock heads? Valve Springs, Rocker Arms, Push Rods etc.?
Some of these items are getting replaced/upgraded with the DOD delete kit.

Stonebx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is cheap for the install. Let us know how it goes and/or pics/videos.

So just to be accurate..the whipple kit installed and tuned $15-1700.
The DOD delete, camshaft upgrade and headers installation is additional. Roughly $1500. For sure once it's done I'll post photos and videos.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll have to double check now but the performance shop that's doing my install informed me that they were. He even asked whipple for a refund on the ECM unlock fees that I paid for because whipple made it clear that we can't do any additional tuning once TRIFECTA gets it and our issue is we're adding the upgraded cam and kooks headers. Also doing the mechanical DOD delete at the same time. I'll reach out to HP my self but the shop I'm dealing with is reputable and do this all day long so I would hope whoever he reached out to is correct!
Fingers crossed! This would be a game changer for people who want to get to a 400K mile platform with this generation of truck, and who live in places where it’s not illegal yet.

Stonebx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fingers crossed! This would be a game changer for people who want to get to a 400K mile platform with this generation of truck, and who live in places where it’s not illegal yet.
Well I'll let you know for sure. I'm going to reach out to them tomorrow and the performance shop to get 100% confirmation!

Stonebx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I'll let you know for sure. I'm going to reach out to them tomorrow and the performance shop to get 100% confirmation!
Hi,

Hope all is well. So unfortunately you were right, HP Tuners is not yet unlocking the 2021 Yukon. The speed shop thought that the 21 Silverado and Yukon ECU were possibly the same but after doing some research and calling around we ended up with the fact that TRIFECTA is the only one doing the unlock. The only good thing out of all the research and calling around that was done today is we ended up getting in contact with the Development Director at TRIFECTA, who informed us that they can accommodate the kooks Stainless Headers & Ultra-GREEN Catted version only due to some of the EPA regulations. Unfortunately they can't accommodate the upgraded camshaft. My apologies for the misinformation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442