Here is Lifter (AFM) Solution on 2021+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Hope all is well. So unfortunately you were right, HP Tuners is not yet unlocking the 2021 Yukon. The speed shop thought that the 21 Silverado and Yukon ECU were possibly the same but after doing some research and calling around we ended up with the fact that TRIFECTA is the only one doing the unlock. The only good thing out of all the research and calling around that was done today is we ended up getting in contact with the Development Director at TRIFECTA, who informed us that they can accommodate the kooks Stainless Headers & Ultra-GREEN Catted version only due to some of the EPA regulations. Unfortunately they can't accommodate the upgraded camshaft. My apologies for the misinformation!
Rats. I was hoping for the best but figured this was still the case. Thanks for following up.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Hope all is well. So unfortunately you were right, HP Tuners is not yet unlocking the 2021 Yukon. The speed shop thought that the 21 Silverado and Yukon ECU were possibly the same but after doing some research and calling around we ended up with the fact that TRIFECTA is the only one doing the unlock. The only good thing out of all the research and calling around that was done today is we ended up getting in contact with the Development Director at TRIFECTA, who informed us that they can accommodate the kooks Stainless Headers & Ultra-GREEN Catted version only due to some of the EPA regulations. Unfortunately they can't accommodate the upgraded camshaft. My apologies for the misinformation!

That response from TRIFECTA raises more questions to me...

They can accommodate the Kooks Headers, but only if you use the Kooks Ultra Green Catted Y-Pipe due to EPA regulations? But they can't accommodate the upgraded camshaft and DOD/DFM delete portion of the upgrades you want to do...

They are unlocking the ECM somehow and using some sort of software to apply a tune it. I would be willing to bet that whatever software they're using to tune the ECM for a supercharger and headers, can also tune for an upgraded cam.

Based on their response on the headers and ONLY willing to accommodate that mod if you use Kooks Ultra Green Catted Y-Pipe my guess is they actually CAN accommodate the upgraded camshaft and DOD/DFM changes in the tune they just WON'T because of some EPA emissions restriction or "box they need to be able to check" when they unlock, tune, and resell an ECM. They probably CAN accommodate the DOD/DFM changes with the cam but maybe it puts them at risk or opens them up to some liability with the EPA they're not comfortable with or willing to do?

That's just my assumptive guess based on their response and requirement of the use of the Kooks Ultra Green Cats; I very well could be wrong. It might be worth proposing this theory to the performance shop doing the work for you and see their thoughts. Maybe they'll shed some more light on the conversation with TRIFECTA; If they happen to agree I'd see if they might reach back out to TRIFECTA and dig a little deeper. If my theory is true maybe there's a "release waiver" you can sign along with an "extra fee" that removes the "EPA regulation risk" from TRIFECTA and they'd be willing to complete your tune?

Stonebx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That response from TRIFECTA raises more questions to me...

They can accommodate the Kooks Headers, but only if you use the Kooks Ultra Green Catted Y-Pipe due to EPA regulations? But they can't accommodate the upgraded camshaft and DOD/DFM delete portion of the upgrades you want to do...

They are unlocking the ECM somehow and using some sort of software to apply a tune it. I would be willing to bet that whatever software they're using to tune the ECM for a supercharger and headers, can also tune for an upgraded cam.

Based on their response on the headers and ONLY willing to accommodate that mod if you use Kooks Ultra Green Catted Y-Pipe my guess is they actually CAN accommodate the upgraded camshaft and DOD/DFM changes in the tune they just WON'T because of some EPA emissions restriction or "box they need to be able to check" when they unlock, tune, and resell an ECM. They probably CAN accommodate the DOD/DFM changes with the cam but maybe it puts them at risk or opens them up to some liability with the EPA they're not comfortable with or willing to do?

That's just my assumptive guess based on their response and requirement of the use of the Kooks Ultra Green Cats; I very well could be wrong. It might be worth proposing this theory to the performance shop doing the work for you and see their thoughts. Maybe they'll shed some more light on the conversation with TRIFECTA; If they happen to agree I'd see if they might reach back out to TRIFECTA and dig a little deeper. If my theory is true maybe there's a "release waiver" you can sign along with an "extra fee" that removes the "EPA regulation risk" from TRIFECTA and they'd be willing to complete your tune?
Hi,

Sorry I'm just seeing this. So I definitely agree with you. It's what I found to be confusing and I think the reason they stated they can do the Kooks set up is because it technically doesn't require a tune as advertised from Kooks so I'm not sure how they're accommodating me on perspective.

Your suggestions regarding the waiver would be ideal if they go for it but if my mechanic can't tune behind them after they're done then I'm just stuck with what I got until someone else starts unlocking the ECM. I definitely will ask my speed shop to present the idea you suggested. Godwilling they go for it if they can. I'd love to do the camshaft upgrade at the same time every thing else is getting done. My project has been delayed until sometime in March because of the lead time on the Kooks set up. Stainless works was available much quicker but I had to return them. I will keep you posted on what the results are when the time comes. I really appreciate your input and suggestions. Fingers crossed they can do everything and I sign off on it.

WICKEDOWESIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW,

Hennessey Performance (uses whipple gen 5 3.0L), Lingenfelter Performance (uses Magnusson 2.65L), Callaway Performance (uses edelbrock 2.65L) , Whipple superchargers, SVE (uses whipple gen 5 3.0L), are all sending their (2021+ SUV only) E90 Global B PCM to Trifecta Performance for modification to the PCM for the calibration. No one else is tuning these yet, it is all done through Trifecta Performance.

Stonebx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I'll let you know for sure. I'm going to reach out to them tomorrow and the performance shop to get 100% confirmation!
I finally got my truck back. Blower, Dod delete and kooks headers installed. Truck runs like a beast.

Attachments

• 20230609_191811.jpg
    20230609_191811.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230609_191804.jpg
    20230609_191804.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230609_191800.jpg
    20230609_191800.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 14