HELPPP O2 sensor problems after swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
So I’ve got multiple issues I need to fix right now and haven’t had the time. Oil pressure sensor screen is bad or atleast I’m assuming and hoping is bad so it’s got the low oil light
For awhile she’s been running lean
The rear 02 were tuned out when I had the dod and stabilitrack cut off
All stock motor minus the new parts on the outside everything inside is good and wore with over 300,000 miles

The rear o2 sensors looks like they have never been changed but the front two seemed newer then the passenger side one did looking at the wire and plug.
I wanted densos but when I got back I realized they had the wrong plug on them and I weren’t trying or had the time to splice the old connectors onto the new sensors I paid 90$ for. So I returned them and go figure they only had 1 in stock not two and it would be Tuesday before they could get one so I took the 1 ngk sensor and went ahead and put it on regardless hoping it would fix my issue as I have a lot of driving to do for work I’ll be hauling 5 hr wensday and don’t want her to be running like shit the whole way possibly damaging anything.

After installing the sensor I ended up having to plug the ngk plugs upside down as the groove on the sides of the plug would not allow me to plug it in normal so that was my first thought and concern is the plug and wires being flipped could be causing it not to work properly. Also after installing it instantly started throwing my bank 2 up stream sensor also is this because they are mix matched sensors? (Ngk, and the other denso or delco) on the passenger side.

Side note the 02 fell out the box from a foot or so and hit the concrete floor and it said twice not to use one that has been dropped cause it could’ve damaged the ceramic inside it.
Everything went so dang smooth I knew something weren’t going to go right.
Any help would be much appreciated if it comes right down to it I may go get the densos back if I HAVE TO and I’ll just splice the old connectors onto the new sensors I just wanted to avoid that route if possible cause of future issues that may come from it.
I’m kinda freaking out inside when I drive cause when the light pops back on after clearing it shell start to lifter tap or ping and sounds just like she’s about to blow

Attachments

• B27A6BAE-AE39-4800-8286-22DB51877943.jpeg
    B27A6BAE-AE39-4800-8286-22DB51877943.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 7
  • A577B065-A9E7-4326-A647-65E11D432EAD.jpeg
    A577B065-A9E7-4326-A647-65E11D432EAD.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 0193F789-4CF9-4793-BACF-917C0F4BCB45.jpeg
    0193F789-4CF9-4793-BACF-917C0F4BCB45.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 7

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’ve got multiple issues I need to fix right now and haven’t had the time. Oil pressure sensor screen is bad or atleast I’m assuming and hoping is bad so it’s got the low oil light
For awhile she’s been running lean
The rear 02 were tuned out when I had the dod and stabilitrack cut off
All stock motor minus the new parts on the outside everything inside is good and wore with over 300,000 miles

The rear o2 sensors looks like they have never been changed but the front two seemed newer then the passenger side one did looking at the wire and plug.
I wanted densos but when I got back I realized they had the wrong plug on them and I weren’t trying or had the time to splice the old connectors onto the new sensors I paid 90$ for. So I returned them and go figure they only had 1 in stock not two and it would be Tuesday before they could get one so I took the 1 ngk sensor and went ahead and put it on regardless hoping it would fix my issue as I have a lot of driving to do for work I’ll be hauling 5 hr wensday and don’t want her to be running like shit the whole way possibly damaging anything.

After installing the sensor I ended up having to plug the ngk plugs upside down as the groove on the sides of the plug would not allow me to plug it in normal so that was my first thought and concern is the plug and wires being flipped could be causing it not to work properly. Also after installing it instantly started throwing my bank 2 up stream sensor also is this because they are mix matched sensors? (Ngk, and the other denso or delco) on the passenger side.

Side note the 02 fell out the box from a foot or so and hit the concrete floor and it said twice not to use one that has been dropped cause it could’ve damaged the ceramic inside it.
Everything went so dang smooth I knew something weren’t going to go right.
Any help would be much appreciated if it comes right down to it I may go get the densos back if I HAVE TO and I’ll just splice the old connectors onto the new sensors I just wanted to avoid that route if possible cause of future issues that may come from it.
I’m kinda freaking out inside when I drive cause when the light pops back on after clearing it shell start to lifter tap or ping and sounds just like she’s about to blow
You sound like you’re having a fuel issue if you’re running lean and that’s tripping the O2 sensors

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
She’s had a fuel knock for awhile my tuner said it’s from running cheap gas normally I throw a bottle of b12 in the tank on fill ups so it’ll prevent that. This sound is more like a lifter tick vs a fuel ping/knock I’m going to return the ntk O2 and had two densos with the right connector ordered I’m peculiar on what brand of parts I get

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That code looks like it’s from having the plug backwards, can’t do that. No way they are working properly...

Cut/ modify the new part to fit the connector or get the correct part.

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Ended up getting the densos today on lunch and swapped them out after work before I went to the room took maybe 10 min the ngk had a identical plug but had grooves in the sides of the plug and the one side was to narrow to plug into the factory plug it was just a hurry up and diddnt check type deal getting parts but I guess the third time is the charm she’s running smoother then ever I’ll be interested to check my highway mileage on the way home wensday it’ll be a 4 hr drive
She’s still got the noisy lifters on a cold start but then instantly goes away and no more noises or concerns as I’m driving it.
Big weight off my shoulders
You sound like you’re having a fuel issue if you’re running lean and that’s tripping the O2 sensors
That code looks like it’s from having the plug backwards, can’t do that. No way they are working properly...

Cut/ modify the new part to fit the connector or get the correct part.

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Denso o2 sensors are the same for both up stream and down stream, correct?

Denso part number 234-4668 ?

(To fit 03-05 Vortec 5.3)

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Denso o2 sensors are the same for both up stream and down stream, correct?

Denso part number 234-4668 ?

(To fit 03-05 Vortec 5.3)

Last April I changed all four O2 sensors on our 07 Denali with 6.2L.
two # 213-3533, $58ea,
&
two # 213-3538, $53ea
Your results may vary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094