Help with backup cam connections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seven9st surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a new backup camera, but need help with the installation on my 03 Yukon because the instructions are in Engrish. I've got a Sony XNV-660BT headunit. I attached some pics of the connections I'm dealing with. I know that the black connector in the first pic connects to the camera itself, the red wire taps into power for the reverse lights (I'm pretty sure, so that it turns on only when put into reverse, right?), and the black wire is a ground. Now in the second pic, the RCA plug goes into the appropriate plug on the back of the head unit. But what about the red wire? Obviously its for power, but what power should I tap for it? Constant 12v? Accessory? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20121227_143559_800x600.jpg
    IMG_20121227_143559_800x600.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20121227_143527_800x600.jpg
    IMG_20121227_143527_800x600.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 21

bassxlr8r

Reaction score
If you want the camera only to come on when you put the truck in reverse, connect the two wires near the camera to ground and reverse light +. Try it at first just hooking the RCA to the camera input on the Sony and see if you get a picture. You will have to hook the reverse signal input on the head unit up to a + signal before testing.

Not sure what brand camera you have, but they may have the reverse + extended to the hanging wire up front for this signal (I have never seen this, but would make sense in my experience). You could test to see if the wire energizes when in reverse, if it does just connect that to the reverse signal input on the Sony. If this doesn't help, could you post an image of the schematic in the camera's manual? May be able to help better from that.

OP
OP
seven9st surfer

seven9st surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want the camera only to come on when you put the truck in reverse, connect the two wires near the camera to ground and reverse light +. Try it at first just hooking the RCA to the camera input on the Sony and see if you get a picture. You will have to hook the reverse signal input on the head unit up to a + signal before testing.

Not sure what brand camera you have, but they may have the reverse + extended to the hanging wire up front for this signal (I have never seen this, but would make sense in my experience). You could test to see if the wire energizes when in reverse, if it does just connect that to the reverse signal input on the Sony. If this doesn't help, could you post an image of the schematic in the camera's manual? May be able to help better from that.

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot. And when you say "manual"... it's a $20 no-name camera off amazon and the manual was a folded up sheet of paper with completely unintelligible Engrish and random pictures of different cars and cameras (non of which were the model that I bought). So they were pretty much useless. Here's the Amazon link, though.

After sifting though all the reviews, I think I might have figured it out. Seems like some people are saying that the red wire at the RCA jack might be for powering an optional standalone monitor. Since I'll be going into my trucks head unit, seems like this wire isn't required for me. I'll try to install it in a few days and see how it goes. Thanks again for the help.

Mr.Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you run the wires from the camera to the dashboard?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts